96 cobra wanting big motor

svt911targa

Established Member
Hey fella's- new to the forum, Ive got a 96 cobra bone stock and wanted to find a monster motor to drop in and start a new build. I had a similar 96 that was my baby w/ a vortech and other bolt-ons it put down 441rwhp and 15 minutes after that dyno my (friend) took my car w/out me knowin and completly totaled it -130+mph and big fire:fm:, Ill post pics if i can figure it out. But help me with the motor Qs.:??: You maybe heard this story from Mike in Grand Junction CO

svt911targa

Established Member
Thanx for tha reply cookie, Dropping in a 5.4? what kinda mods am i lookin at? bolt up? wiring and ECU? Have you seen it done?

SVTStrikesBack

Last One Standing
Established Member
how deep are your pockets? There are so many options out there ow, it's not even funny. I like my setup, but honestly, I don't even have it finished yet, so I can't tell you for sure how the power is. What I like is an engine with good size that pulls hard to redline, and not a redline of 5800. A LOT of people like the big block pull of a PD blower or larger engine, but I started out with cars that revved, and I just got hooked on the feel.

I know there are quite a few people that have done the 5.4 swap. There is a guy on the Corral whose screen name is Z06killer (or some varitaion of that) that has a turbocharged 5.4l and I'm sure he could help you with any fittiment issues that you may come into.

svt911targa

Established Member
Love tha color, only way to go. Well ive got about 12g to spend on this car start to finish, so i figure thats alotta power i can get. I would like to build the 4.6 in it cause i salvaged the vortech outta the burnt cob. Ive heard that people drop in the term. motor w/some work and boost happy runnin 10's, Ive talked and been to Strictly Performance in H-town and thats their motto. Im pretty much starting from scratch but have the money and want it done fast, lookin for a solid answer on whats the best set-up for the $$

KazooGS-T

Established Member
Best setup for the money will be built motor and turbo. Or you can do built motor and put your vortech you had on there and run some higher boost than what you were.

Cookieman00x

Drunk Again.
Established Member
If you've ony get 12k to spend, your not going to do a motor swap really... unless you got the car madd cheap... Your best bet... throw a blower on till you get enoguh to get a built motor...

SVTStrikesBack

Last One Standing
Established Member
Am I to understand you have a NEW CObra, not the one that burned up correct? I think the above post is under the assumption that you are trying to ifx the torched car. I thought you already had a different car to start with.

Helomech74

Established Member
If you want a big motor, swap in either a small block or big block push rod motor. You will need a K member that will accept the mounts (use a tube K or a 94-95 stock one.) I have been kicking around the idea of doing a 408 Windsor with a carb setup, not sure if I want to cross that bridge yet. You can get 351W motors from Junk yards for cheap, and the stroker kits are fairly cheap as well compared to any mod motor parts. Heads, cam, intake and a nice carb are all still cheaper then Mod motor parts, or any blower.

Toasty

Established Member
If you want a big motor, swap in either a small block or big block push rod motor. You will need a K member that will accept the mounts (use a tube K or a 94-95 stock one.) I have been kicking around the idea of doing a 408 Windsor with a carb setup, not sure if I want to cross that bridge yet. You can get 351W motors from Junk yards for cheap, and the stroker kits are fairly cheap as well compared to any mod motor parts. Heads, cam, intake and a nice carb are all still cheaper then Mod motor parts, or any blower.

Buy a fox before butchering a 96-98 Cobra with a pushrod conversion.

Hell, a 94-95 5.0 non-cobra car would be a great base to start a stroker windsor on. I mean if ur gonna tear it apart anyways, why start with something whose value (to some people) is in the Cobra drivetrain?

:bash:

svt911targa

Established Member
If you've ony get 12k to spend, your not going to do a motor swap really... unless you got the car madd cheap... Your best bet... throw a blower on till you get enoguh to get a built motor...

Well i already have the car, and have that money solely for a motor

svt911targa

Established Member

I like the 351 idea

PSUCOBRA96

Established Member
just by a longblock 4.6 bored and stroked to 302 from mmr and drop it in, get supercharge friendly pistons on it and your done, maybe get some agressive cams as well and run the c heads

svt911targa

Established Member
Am I to understand you have a NEW CObra, not the one that burned up correct? I think the above post is under the assumption that you are trying to ifx the torched car. I thought you already had a different car to start with.

My bad, Yeh ive got a new to me 96 cobra, the burny was totaled

97desertCobra

Procharged!
Established Member
Best setup for the money will be built motor and turbo. Or you can do built motor and put your vortech you had on there and run some higher boost than what you were.

x8948545! Put in a stout forged rotating assembly and then get the hellion single turbo system. You can make insane amounts of power with turbos on a built four valve. 800+rwhp is not unrealistic.

Helomech74

Established Member
Buy a fox before butchering a 96-98 Cobra with a pushrod conversion.

Hell, a 94-95 5.0 non-cobra car would be a great base to start a stroker windsor on. I mean if ur gonna tear it apart anyways, why start with something whose value (to some people) is in the Cobra drivetrain?

:bash:

That's funny that you think of it as butchering a car. The SN95 Cobra isn't a collector car, it's just a damn car. There is no butchering involved in putting a SBF or BBF in there. It fits better then the 4V that's in it now. Hell he could do a stroker BB 460 it will still fit better then the 4V thats in it now. No cutting required, just get a Kmember and drop it in. It's no different then doing it in a 94-95 Cobra. It'll make more power for the money then any Modular upgrade you can find. Mod motors are nice, but the cost of parts is ridiculous IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread