96 Cobra w/T trim (I have a few different questions)

96S/Cobra

Established Member
I have been searching on here for some info but I just can't find exactly what I'm looking for. I am planning on running the most boost possible with 93 octane pump gas on my 96 Cobra. A little background info on my car: Vortech T trim head unit, forged internals (8.8:1 cr), blower cams, meth injection, full exhaust.

First question:
I want to put an 8 rib set-up on my car (unless anyone thinks I should run a 10 rib set-up). I thought there was a thread on here on a way to go about getting an 8 rib set up using F150 pullies. Does anyone have input/info about this? Is this a good way to cut corners or am I better off just buying something like the BGG Kit (which is $500)

Second question:
Is it a good idea to run a FMIC with a Vortech T trim. I see a lot of people who just run the simple non-intercooled kit on their car. I will be using meth injection, so is the FMIC really needed? I don't mind spending the extra money now if it will be the right way to do things. I want to do it right the first time. If you think I need a FMIC, is there a particular brand/size to buy as well as any particular brands to stay away from.

Third question:
I need a bypass valve. I love the sound of those valves that are vented to the atmosphere (at least I think I do, I've never heard one in person). Is there any particular one I should look into getting, or for that matter is there a particular brand of bypass valve that I should stay away from?

Fourth question:
In doing some searching on here, I found where someone said they thought the procharger coolant crossover tube would work on a car with a Vortech and it would be quite a bit cheaper than buying one from Vortech. Is this true? Or is it my best bet to just buy the Vortech coolant crossover tubes from superchargersonline.com for like $229?

Fifth question:
Does anyone know about how much boost I can run with a set-up like this with 93 octane pump gas? More importantly, does anyone know what size pully I would need to buy from Vortech to achieve this max boost level through my T trim?

I know it's a lot of questions, but I'm trying to finish piecing everything together so I can get my car up and running, and right now I have a few extra bucks to spend (income tax refund).

2V99GT

SVT God
Established Member
get a procharger D1 kit, with a 3 core intercooler, and a red race bypass vented to the atmosphere and don't look back. :D

19mustang95

Wants another Mystic
Established Member
yes, you can use pullies off an F150 to switch to 8-rib. I'm sure you can go through Tousely Ford on here to order them very cheaply.

96S/Cobra

Established Member
Thanks for the replys guys, but I already own a polished T trim head unit and brand new bracket. I am just looking for info to finish out the install properly on my car.

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
I have been searching on here for some info but i just can't find exactly what i'm looking for. I am planning on running the most boost possible with 93 octane pump gas on my 96 cobra. A little background info on my car: Vortech t trim head unit, forged internals (8.8:1 cr), blower cams, meth injection, full exhaust.

First question:
I want to put an 8 rib set-up on my car (unless anyone thinks i should run a 10 rib set-up). I thought there was a thread on here on a way to go about getting an 8 rib set up using f150 pullies. Does anyone have input/info about this? Is this a good way to cut corners or am i better off just buying something like the bgg kit (which is $500)

i have the bgg kit and i love it, it make it very simple and easy, for me it was worth it.

Second question:
Is it a good idea to run a fmic with a vortech t trim. I see a lot of people who just run the simple non-intercooled kit on their car. I will be using meth injection, so is the fmic really needed? I don't mind spending the extra money now if it will be the right way to do things. I want to do it right the first time. If you think i need a fmic, is there a particular brand/size to buy as well as any particular brands to stay away from.

I would run a fmic it's just much easier and peace of mind. If you are going to be running a lot of boost which it sounds like you will be you would be best off with this. You can do a cxracing intercooler, but i would recommend the procharger 3-core.
Third question:
I need a bypass valve. I love the sound of those valves that are vented to the atmosphere (at least i think i do, i've never heard one in person). Is there any particular one i should look into getting, or for that matter is there a particular brand of bypass valve that i should stay away from?

I run the vortech mondo and it's really nice, either that or the procharger big red will work.

Fourth question:
In doing some searching on here, i found where someone said they thought the procharger coolant crossover tube would work on a car with a vortech and it would be quite a bit cheaper than buying one from vortech. Is this true? Or is it my best bet to just buy the vortech coolant crossover tubes from superchargersonline.com for like $229?

I'm not to sure but i would just got with the vortech piece and save the headache.

Fifth question:
Does anyone know about how much boost i can run with a set-up like this with 93 octane pump gas? More importantly, does anyone know what size pully i would need to buy from vortech to achieve this max boost level through my t trim?

With 93 i would say no more than 17-18psi safely. Depending on what exhaust mods you have and head porting you will probably need a 2.8'' pulley. I have a 3'' with my mods in sig and i'm seeing 15psi at almost 7k.. You can also buy a 10% overdrive pulley and it'll allow you to run a bigger s/c pulley which will cause a lot less slip.
I know it's a lot of questions, but i'm trying to finish piecing everything together so i can get my car up and running, and right now i have a few extra bucks to spend (income tax refund).

Last edited:

sptzvnm

Established Member
I bought a FMIC kit off of eBay. I bought the core separate from the piping. The core size is 24X10X4 (thats what it measured without the endtanks). The DIY piping kit came with everything needed for the install (polished mandrel bent aluminum pipes, clamps, and couples). I got the fmic and and all piping for less than $500 and the intercooler is centered and does not hang below the bumper (I hate to see I/C mounted off-center). I also purchased an OBX 360 degree b.o.v. which I personally think sounds awesome. You hear it even when you are not under high boost ( also purchased off eBay ).

I have a 2.8" pulley and my supercharger is making 19 lbs. on pump gas (93 octane). My Cobra is making 651 rwhp ( again on pump gas ).

97desertCobra

Procharged!
Established Member
Thanks for the replys guys, but I already own a polished T trim head unit and brand new bracket. I am just looking for info to finish out the install properly on my car.

The T-trim is a very nice head unit. I would run a FMIC mostly because there is air rushing over it all the time which is more ideal for a street car vs a water to air intercooler or no intercooler with meth injection. A good water to air set up is superior to a FMIC when you are at the 1/4 strip and you have the chance to refill the ice after each pass, but on the street a good FMIC>>>>water to air IMO. I'm not a fan of meth injection because its just one more system to fail or fill up over time. Its also rather corrosive.

As for the boost I would say 17-18# would be about the limit with 93. Have you considered E85? If its available in your area I would give it some consideration. 105 octane fuel for $2.xx a gallon is a steal! With E85 you could run 20+psi and increase the timing a bit. All you need to run E85 is a larger fuel system(takes about 20% more fuel compared to normal gasoline) and a tune.

As for the 8 rib vs 10 rib I would go for the 8 rib. It should be enough as long as everything is properly aligned. If you still have belt slip issues a dedicated drive is the way to go IMO.

harvboi05

Established Member
Fourth question:
In doing some searching on here, i found where someone said they thought the procharger coolant crossover tube would work on a car with a vortech and it would be quite a bit cheaper than buying one from vortech. Is this true? Or is it my best bet to just buy the vortech coolant crossover tubes from superchargersonline.com for like $229?

PM BOOSTED4LIFE on corral. i got a bnib procharger crossover kit from him dirt cheap, as have many others.

96S/Cobra

Established Member
Thanks for the imput everybody!!

I went ahead and purchased a FMIC, so I should be good to go there. But I am still having a problem locating the information that I need to acquire the F150 pullies for the 8 rib conversion. I have done tons of searching, but still have not been able to find a list/part #'s. I am not against buying the BGG 8 rib conversion kit, but it seems if I could get the same quality parts at a much lower price from Ford then I would rather go that route. I don't mind doing some searching/asking questions/making phone calls if it means saving some coin.

And I sent BOOSTED4LIFE a pm over on corral, so we'll see if he gets back to me or not concerning the procharger coolant crossover kit.

And as far as the E85, it sounds like a great idea, but there are currently no local stations that carry it. The nearest one is about 45 minutes away. And I have a complete fuel system to handle the extra volume, but the convenience factor is also an important choice as well.

swayzeelocs

Established Member
Does anyone have a procharger or vortech crossover for a 96-98 cobra? 6612296089 send me pictures or got info on one please thanks in advance!

Users who are viewing this thread