96 cobra vs 96-98 cobra at the track

rustyruststang8

Established Member
I see a guy at the track that I meet a few weeks earlier at AutoZone. He told me when I meet him that it has 430 gears, canl cold air, off road h pipe, flow masters, msg shifter. I have a 96 cobra with nitto drag radials, off road x pipe with flow masters, and a banm shifter.
So I see him at the track on Friday. I asked him if he would like to run, he said sure. I told him I think all get you out of the hole and you probably will chase me down. Then he comes back and says "no, I think I go you out of the hole up top will me my problem." I was like ok whatever.
So we line them up for are first run. The tree drops and I totally smoke him out of the hole a good 3 cars and pull at least 1 more before we shut down. I ran a 14 flat at 100mph he ran a 14.6 at 98.
So we get back to the pits and he said he mess up so we go again.
This time I really warm up my nittos. We line up and the tree drops. I launch at around 3k bog a little and take off hard. Same result I get him bad out of the hole and he can’t catch up. I ran a 13.8 at 101 and he ran another 14.6.
Other runs I had was
Dodge srt 8 jeep he ran a 13.4 vs. my 13.8
An ls1 firebird 13.8 vs. my 14.6 bad launch
I didn’t run him but there was a 1st gen neon in the 11's with a srt-4 swap that was mean.
So that was my night at the track just thought I would share.

Silver2003Cobra

US Navy (retired)
Established Member
where were you running at.. those are the track times I ran in my 97 Cobra on OEM tires and 100% stock back in 99.. (in Hawaii at Hawaii Raceway Park on Oahu)

rustyruststang8

Established Member
i was running in nc. im not that good a launching my cobra yet but im getting better. i have ran a 13.8 with street tires and every thing else the same. i just need to learn how to launch with the dr. im still only cutting 2.1-2.0 60ft times.

dark-knight

Established Member
it must be that he cant drive, esp. with having 4.30's

good runs OP, sounded like a fun night at the track

PSUCOBRA96

Established Member
4.30's and he was running a 14.6, hes either a bad driver, somethings broke or he is smoking hte shit outta his tires with the 4.30's

Trick Pony

Stang Addict
Established Member
i was running in nc. im not that good a launching my cobra yet but im getting better. i have ran a 13.8 with street tires and every thing else the same. i just need to learn how to launch with the dr. im still only cutting 2.1-2.0 60ft times.

Even on Nittos you should be able to pull 60-fts a couple tenths quicker than that, which would put you in the mid to low 13s. You just need to master the clutch, it's a fine line between bogging and spinning the tires.

04HillzGT

Established Member
He's definitely lying about the gears, with 4.30's you were correct in assuming he'd get you out of the hole. Regardless excellent runs!

Users who are viewing this thread