96 Cobra Vortech Supercharger broken belt

393Bird

Seniors Gone Wild
Established Member
Your problem is mainly from the pulleys not being perfectly aligned. Mine is a different setup, but had the same problem. You need to get the pulleys lined up so a straight edge touches both sides of each pulley.

pulley-check.jpg

pulleys4.jpg

perfect.jpg

I have had the same belt on now for 3 years.

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
Yea it should work.. But get a billet one on there.. I stopped shredding belts as soon as I went to a thump tensioner

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
Not that I know of.. you can maybe buy a steel version.. But in all honesty just buy a Thump unit.

jpicc

Established Member
I've had a stock replacement 3 bolt tensioner from Napa on my car for 3 years. I've also had the same Napa (gates) belt on my car for the same 3 years. I've never had ANY issues and I'm making 22-24psi with a YSI. I personally think the "billet" tensioners are over rated. no saying they don't work, but I've never seen the need for one on my 700RWHP 20+psi car.....

Ridehard

Established Member
I've had a stock replacement 3 bolt tensioner from Napa on my car for 3 years. I've also had the same Napa (gates) belt on my car for the same 3 years. I've never had ANY issues and I'm making 22-24psi with a YSI. I personally think the "billet" tensioners are over rated. no saying they don't work, but I've never seen the need for one on my 700RWHP 20+psi car.....

Wow that's a lot of power.

wikdlx

The Bone
Established Member
most likely the tensioner is junk and needs to be replaced. buy a thump racing tensioner and be done!

Users who are viewing this thread