96 Cobra Valve Cover Gaskets???

Rick98Z

Established Member
Well I had oil into a spark plug tube due to bad seal. I ordered fel-pro replacement valve cover gasket set after comparing my stock onesvalve cover gaskets they look flat on one side and tapered on the other but the new fel-pro set is tapered on both sides??? Does this seem right and did my stock ones just flatten on one side from the bolts torquing them down over time??? Part numbers on fel-pro box check out as far as I can tell...

Sn8kebitten

Established Member
I used FelPro's several months ago when my 96 cobra was missing and stuttering which turned out to be oil dripping onto my plugs. Didn't have a problem with the install beside getting those damn valve covers off

DHG4410

Established Member
Sorry don't remember. But I do remember the OEM fitting within the groove of the valve cover much better. Contact Autonation Ford of White Bear Lake - Formerly Tousley Ford or Tasca on here they will save you a few bucks.

Tabres

Not without incident
Established Member
I've used both stock and Fel-Pro versions with no issue. Your stock gaskets have just flatened out. They're both tapered.

98 N/A 4V

Established Member
I've used both stock and Fel-Pro versions with no issue. Your stock gaskets have just flatened out. They're both tapered.

+1.

OP they can really go on only 1 way. If they wont stay in the grooves when you flip the valve cover over just put a couple of dabs of rtv under the gasket first so it will stay in the groove. I used Fel Pro's too and that was my only issue. They sealed fine.

-Mark

Rick98Z

Established Member
They fit in the grooves great, still added couple dabs of RTV to hold them on for when I go to reinstall though...was just worried about them having a bottom taper as well but am not worried now after talking to you guys :) I'm sure they will be fine! Thanks everyone again for the help!!!

Users who are viewing this thread