96 Cobra upgrade to Si trim or T-trim??

Blake04

Established Member
I just got my 1996 Cobra tuned and was happy with the results.
It's a stock displacement teksid block with forged internals, extrude honed B heads, and unknown cams. This was originally built by Sean Hyland back in the late 90's and I wish I knew the cam specs but I don't. My only problem now is that the S-trim is tapped out and I want more boost. I'm unsure if I'm gonna go T-trim or just have the S rebuilt and upgraded to Si specs. Please chime in if you have experience with that.

583hp
502 ft. lbs

Blake04

Established Member
Trying to copy the url in to post the dyno sheet, but I'm having issues.

Last edited:

Blake04

Established Member
Yes, it's a street car. It has a full road racing suspension setup but I'm going to change out the springs and adjust the coil overs to try the strip.

Blake04

Established Member
I can spend about $750 and send my S trim back to Vortech. They will rebuild it and upgrade to Si specs. As far as a T-trim, it has since been updated to Ti trim from Vortech and they are over $3000. I would just be looking for a used T-trim with that being the case.

ZeroDCX

Established Member
Don't mean to throw this off topic, but what IC and plumbing did you go with for the Vortech Air-to-Air? I'm trying to figure out how to run mine without cutting vital areas (bumper support, etc) and keeping my STB.

Blake04

Established Member
If I could give you a play by play I would but it was already done when I bought the car. I can say this, it's an extremely tight fit. Send me your email address and when I get a chance I'll send you pictures from different places and angles. Maybe that will help shed a little light on it for you.

crazycarlo

Established Member
Unless u get a small FMIC you have to cut the support. If your worried about stability then get a bar support.

OP if that's the price man then just get the Si, it flows almost as much air as the T and from all the ppl I've seen on here with them they will support over 600 rwhp.

ZeroDCX

Established Member
OP Thanks, I'll PM you my email address.

Correct me if I'm wrong. I recall when researching my options, that the SI-Trim flowed a little less CFMs than the T-Trim (not to be confused with the TI-Trim), plus the SI-Trim was "supposed" to be more efficient than the T-Trim also. I intended on rebuilding and upgrading my SC-Trim to the SI-Trim rather than buy the T-Trim new... That's assuming I can't find a good used unit. I spoke with a representative (won't list his/her name) at Vortech via email and they stated the SC-Trim to SI-Upgrade would be less than $400 for Polished and around $330 for Satin (not including bearings or seal replacement). Don't quote me on that though, it's always subject to change. The price just didn't justify the performance gap between the two. Again I could be wrong, it's been a while.

crazycarlo, If i remember correctly weren't you running and air to air centri setup also a while back?

Last edited:

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
Glad that I have my newly rebuilt T-trim still.. 0 miles on it.. I've been thinking of selling it actually. Looks like I can probably get a pretty penny for it too :)

ZeroDCX

Established Member
98 Saleen Cobra, maybe you can shed some light on the subject... Would you happen to know of the performance difference between the V1 T-Trim and V1 SI-Trim? Can't find the specs on the T-Trim on Vortech's website anymore, just the TI-Trim.

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
Here are the specs on the T-trim from SuperchargersOnline, Worlds largest Supercharger Resource. Get Serious About Power

Vortech V-1 T-Trim Supercharger:

•Max Speed: 55000 RPM
•Max Boost: 26 PSI
•Max Flow: 1200 CFM
•Max Power: 825 HP
•Peak Efficiency: 73%

Here are the Si's from the same site

Vortech V-1 Si-Trim Supercharger:

•Max Speed: 55000 RPM
•Max Boost: 26 PSI
•Max Flow: 1150 CFM
•Max Power: 775 HP
•Peak Efficiency: 78%

The t-trim flows more and has better bearings iirc... They use the same bearings in the JT and YSI trim.. That's what I do know.. I also kno that my buddy spun his Si trim on a 2v to 700rwhp and 22psi.. Overspun that thing like 8k over the max rpm..

Either blower will do, but imo the T-trim will hold more..

Blake04

Established Member
I think your correct but $750 for my S trim to be upgraded and rebuilt is hard to beat. I will however be on the lookout for a good used T-trim over the winter. I guess what my best bet would be is if I have no luck by the end of January finding a T-trim I'm just gonna send mine to Vortech.

mustangmanjeff

Established Member
If im not mistaken, a si tril is a s trim its just a quieter version, the regular s trim or t trim are 2 diff blowers s being smaller T is bigger, its like procharger has the p1 , d1 , f1 etc. I would think you would want a T trim, it will make more power, hence its larger next step up blower, si Would just be your same s trim rebuilt.

Blown_By_You

Richard Head
Established Member
If im not mistaken, a si tril is a s trim its just a quieter version, the regular s trim or t trim are 2 diff blowers s being smaller T is bigger, its like procharger has the p1 , d1 , f1 etc. I would think you would want a T trim, it will make more power, hence its larger next step up blower, si Would just be your same s trim rebuilt.

You are wrong

The S and T trim are same case.. Different bearings, different impeller.

OP...

There is no way in hell I'd upgrade to the T trim over the Si for the price.. The SI is more efficient in the mid and lower end anyway.. Only reason for a T trim is if you were gonna run cogs.

Users who are viewing this thread