96 Cobra suspension question and spring wake-up woes

Spintastic9000

Established Member
Good afternoon fellow SVTPerformance lurkers! If y'all remember my last post (which was also my first post), last summer I bought a 96 Cobra off of an old man which had been sitting for some time. I put some work into it last year and it seems to be a decent runner worthy of a bit more love. I've always wanted a Mustang of this era, and I figured that this would be a good one to learn how to do some of my own mechanical work.

Yesterday I woke it up from it's winter slumber and after a quick once over, it made the 50 mile drive home from storage flawlessly. I went in for a deeper look this morning and found a few areas that need to be addressed that have popped up since storage. The first one I noticed was this:
IMG_20220409_112044570.jpg

The morning after parking the car in the garage I noticed a fuel odor. Looked under the rear of the car and noticed that the plastic tank cover was wet with fuel. I jacked up the car, took off the rear wheel and it appears that the tank is seeping. I did some research and it looks like a fairly simple thing to replace the tank, and new ones are available on CJpony parts. If there's anything I should be aware of when ordering a tank or doing the replacement, I will take any advice I can get!

Also while under the car, I noticed some parts near the front were wet and shiny, that I didn't think should be, so I scooted in for a closer look and this is what I found:

IMG_20220409_112234848(1).jpg

You can't really tell from the photo (I did the best I could on my back while holding a flashlight and cellphone) but it seems to be seeping out of the place where the back of the transmission meets the driveshaft (Tailshaft?) The leak doesn't look super severe, but if it's something that's not crazy to do, I'd love for this car to be leak free!

Another question I had on my original post was that the car came with what seem to be aftermarket springs and aftermarket rear control arms, but I could not for the life of me figure out what brand or type they were. Well after crawling under the rear of the car some more, I found a little green label on the rear springs with the following number: F4ZC-5560-AEA. According to the inter-webs, this may be a stock spring off a 94 Mustang, but I am not sure. Anyone have any insight? It seems lower and stiffer than what I've seen from photos of stock springs. There are some nifty tubular adjustable rear control arms as well that I was not able to identify and I took some pics hoping that the hive-mind here may know:

IMG_20220409_111859004.jpg
IMG_20220409_111922685.jpg

IMG_20220409_111910313.jpg
IMG_20220409_111806559.jpg

The reason I was looking for this info, aside from my own curiosity of what parts are on my car, is because I plan on replacing the shocks/struts for a set that are not blown, and want to make sure I'm getting something appropriately matched to what is already on the car. I was thinking of either Koni Orange STR.T's (yay Koni sale) or Bilstein HD's (no sale and twice as much). I welcome all comments, suggestions, insults, etc on suspension choices. The ultimate goal for this car is to be a nice cruiser to have fun and cause some trouble, nothing that I think would require full coilovers or a $3,500 suspension kit from Maximum Motorsports ;)

Thanks all in advance for helping out this clueless newb!

Attachments

• IMG_20220409_112234848.jpg
    IMG_20220409_112234848.jpg
    966.2 KB · Views: 38

Spintastic9000

Established Member
Are you sure that is the tank seeping, and it's not leaking at the fill pipe? There's a gasket in there.
Good call! I actually just ran down to the garage and took another look at it. The gasket going from the filler into the tank seems like it's torn along the top 180 degrees. Would this cause gas to leak that far around the tank and underneath though? The plastic tank cover has a couple of small slits in it at the bottom, and I could see some surface rust in there, and there's surface rust along the tank "seam" as well. I'll know more once I pull off the plastic cover, but if the tank has surface rust anyway and it needs to be partially removed to change the gasket, would I be better off replacing the tank, or am I making things way more complicated, as I have a tendency to do..?

Last edited:

Spintastic9000

Established Member
That spring part # is definitely a Ford #.

They aren't cheap but I'd get either the Bilstiens or the Yellow Konis (both are adjustable) and then replace the springs with Eibach prokit or Ford Racing B
Interesting that they would replace the springs with different Mustang springs rather than go aftermarket. I'd love to know what some of the previous owners were thinking! I was kind of leaning towards the bilsteins, as I've heard the ride quality is somewhat better than the Koni's, and it can still handle spring rates that are moderately more aggressive than stock. I'm still undecieded what I'd like to do as far as springs, but that may be an issue for after I plug the leaks in the car (stupid adult me trying to do things right, lol)

Tillerman77

Established Member
They aren't cheap but I'd get either the Bilstiens or the Yellow Konis (both are adjustable) and then replace the springs with Eibach prokit or Ford Racing B
+1 on the Bilstein & FRPP B spring combination. I completed this on my 97 Cobra last year and am extremely pleased with the results. My goal was for a fun to drive cruiser that still could survive less than perfect roads.

Tillerman77

Established Member
Interesting that they would replace the springs with different Mustang springs rather than go aftermarket. I'd love to know what some of the previous owners were thinking! I was kind of leaning towards the bilsteins, as I've heard the ride quality is somewhat better than the Koni's, and it can still handle spring rates that are moderately more aggressive than stock. I'm still undecieded what I'd like to do as far as springs, but that may be an issue for after I plug the leaks in the car (stupid adult me trying to do things right, lol)
What does the current ride height look like and are you running stock sizes of wheel/tires?
Also, any indication that your current springs have been cut, i.e. a coil or coils removed?

Tillerman77

Established Member
You can't really tell from the photo (I did the best I could on my back while holding a flashlight and cellphone) but it seems to be seeping out of the place where the back of the transmission meets the driveshaft (Tailshaft?) The leak doesn't look super severe, but if it's something that's not crazy to do, I'd love for this car to be leak free!
That looks similar to the seepage I have on my 97. I do not have any sign of a leak on the floor or any loss of fluid in the transmission (i.e. level check). To answer your question, I am pretty sure the tailshaft has a seal that can be replaced.

deadernie

is my name
Established Member
I'd be willing to bet the filler neck gasket is where your leak is coming from. The gas with ethanol turns them to mush. They also always seem to leak if disturbed (i.e. fuel pump replacement)

Wouldn't hurt to check the fuel filter connections too.

Spintastic9000

Established Member
What does the current ride height look like and are you running stock sizes of wheel/tires?
Also, any indication that your current springs have been cut, i.e. a coil or coils removed?
The current ride height is definitely lower than the stock 4x4 springs. I'm running stock 98 Cobra wheels. Not knowing what they are, I may just go ahead and get the FRPP B springs, as they seem to have a nice spring rate and ride height, combined with the Bilsteins. I've already got a set of MM camber/caster plates in the garage to throw on there with them.
I'd be willing to bet the filler neck gasket is where your leak is coming from. The gas with ethanol turns them to mush. They also always seem to leak if disturbed (i.e. fuel pump replacement)

Wouldn't hurt to check the fuel filter connections too.
I went under their again tonight and took a much closer look at it. When I put it away for the winter, I filled/stabilized the tank all the way to the top. This may have given it all winter to slowly leak out through the failed gasket, leading to the wetness I'm seeing all over. It definitely wasn't wet like this last year. Examining the gasket, it definitely is separating across the top 180 degrees, and I am seeing some seepage leading from that area too. So I'll replace the $18 gasket before doing the $200 tank and see if that does the trick. I definitely appreciate the insight on that!!!

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
I definitely appreciate the insight on that!!!

That's what we are all here for. Spread the knowledge around.

B springs are a great spring for a comfy ride and not too much of a drop. The Bilsteins will go great with them.
Before I went to coilovers, I ran Foxbody spec'ed shocks/struts (still running the struts) and H&R Super sport springs. The fox parts are 1" shorter, so you still get the full travel of the shock.

GerryMX

Established Member
Good to hear the Bilstein and Eibach prokit is also recommended here. My friend is looking to get them for his new Cobra project. We got to finish installing the brake pads and centerline wheels on the truck before we can clear the garage.

Users who are viewing this thread