96 Cobra suspension lean

TheManInBlack

Shelby Operator
Established Member
looks like my 96 sits just a little bit lower on the pass side than the drivers side.. it's kinda subtle and most people don't notice it but I notice it since I'm around the car day after day. the springs are aftermarket. control arms are stock.. it needs new front struts but that wouldn't affect ride height. what are some things to double check just from a visual inspection stand point? the car isn't a spring chicken anymore and stuff does wear out. I'd like some new control arms at some point.. I've done a little searching in various forms and came up with a few ideas such as sway bar bushings and making sure the rear springs are facing the right direction.. would worn control arm bushings do that? I'm open to ideas of things to check. I daily drive it and it's a good car.. I just noticed it and did the check with your fingers between the fender lip and tire and it's about one finger thickness less than the drivers side.. I'll try to jack it up tomorrow and give it a check.. springs, isolators, bushings, etc etc

Mr.Bolt-on

Jimmy Rustler
Established Member
What brand springs are they? Some aftermarket springs sag after a few years and even worse if the driver was overweight. Also check to see if the ISO's are missing on one side and installed on another.

TheManInBlack

Shelby Operator
Established Member
well it's lower on the pass side which takes the drivers weight factor out of it.. they are eibach springs.. I have a set that will pick the car up some which will reduce the exhaust drag some. I know the extra springs I have sit level with everything else being as it should. I dunno how long the current springs have been on it though..

Last edited:

nomoretickets

Established Member
Regardless of what Yahoo answers might tell you, springs will eventually wear out. Might just be time for new springs. Other than that, these are old cars. Lots of rubber parts to dry out and stop doing their job.

TheManInBlack

Shelby Operator
Established Member
I surely wasn't looking on yahoo.. just looked through mustang message boards that talk about SN platform mustangs.. if it all looks in order underneath, I'll swap the springs with another set I have.. it won't be as low but ah well.

greasy

SVT Noob
Established Member
It is something that you just have to deal with it seems unless you are running coilovers at all 4 corners. On my car the driver's side sides about 1/4" lower in both the front & back compared to the passenger side. Drives me absolutely crazy, but I just accept it.

TheManInBlack

Shelby Operator
Established Member
it drives straight as an arrow but it does lean more on the front pass side than the rear pass side.. now that ya mention it.. it could very well be the ball joint.. the springs don't look old at all from a quick look I did yesterday and the pads don't look old..

SnakeBitten07

Established Member
You didn't say if the lean is apparent after the Eibach spring installation, but are the springs clocked correctly?

Users who are viewing this thread