96 Cobra smokes on start up

blk96slowbra

Established Member
My car has 94,xxx miles on it and when I start it up cold I get a good puff of bluish white smoke. Somedays it smokes on all start ups and others its just when its been sitting for a while. I know I have some sort of gasket/seal leaking a little oil somewhere but was wandering if any of you guys had any opinions on if I should spend the money to get it fixed or just let it go.

Cookieman00x

Drunk Again.
Established Member
Chances are its your valve seals leaking a little oil past them. If its not when your driving you arent too bad yet. Look into a compression and leakdown test to give you a better idea of the health of the seals.

blk96slowbra

Established Member
Chances are its your valve seals leaking a little oil past them. If its not when your driving you arent too bad yet. Look into a compression and leakdown test to give you a better idea of the health of the seals.

I had a compression test done a few weeks ago and cylinder 7 was at 80 lbs. I replaced all the plugs and plug wires because the plug on #7 wasn't firing at all. After doing that the compression went back up to 120 lbs.

SVTPete83

Established Member
That doesnt make much sense. Your compression would not change just with a spark plug change. In fact, you have to remove the plug to do the test. So your mechanic sounds like he is giving you the run around. Besides, 120 is still about 30 psi lower than you want to be

99BlownVert

Established Member
if its just on start up dont worry about it. As long as you keep the oil level up it will be fine. 4 valve engines use oil and many of them have leaky valve seals thats just the way it is, if its driving good and not smoking under acceleration you should be good

blk96slowbra

Established Member
If I were to have the valve seals replaced what would be some other things I should have done at the same time to make this worth it and to save on future labor costs?

Helomech74

Established Member
If I were to have the valve seals replaced what would be some other things I should have done at the same time to make this worth it and to save on future labor costs?

If you are going to have the problem addressed I would just pull the heads and have a decent valve job done on them.

Users who are viewing this thread