96 Cobra question on fluids & plugs

Spiney

Established Member
We have a 96 Cobra that had been very well maintained by the previous owner. We purchased it in July 2011 with 37K miles. It was always garaged, sunny day only, Royal Purple oil.

We've now reached the 50K mark. I've kept with the Royal Purple oil every 3-4K miles.

I want it to last long with minimum parts replacement. I want to flush and fill the coolant. Besides a quality anti-freeze should I use a different fluid or additive to lower the running temperature?

I don't know if the brake fluid has ever been changed. I've read it will extend the life of the seals to flush & replace it. Any suggestions?
Do you drain and replace or use a sealed system to put new in while pushing the old out?

Suggestions for rear & manual transmission lubes? Do I risk creating problems where there are none by replacing the fluids?

A friend uses and swears by Lucas oil additive that supposedly coats the walls to avoid dry starts. You use it in replace of 1 quart. Anyone use this or something similar?

I'm pretty sold on the RP, I use the full synthetic blend. So I don't want to get into an RP VS Amsoil battle. More interested in the other fluids.

2 other things: suggestions for Plugs?

Last like I said it just turned 50K but is 19 years old. Do I need to be concerned with replacing the timing chains? I had a belt go in our DD Volvo, ruined the engine went from a great car to a $500 scrap sale.

Thanks, Dave

Users who are viewing this thread