96' Cobra: Question about exhaust tone?

01silverstang

Established Member
I currently own a 96' Cobra with Procharger P-1SC, which is my first with a centrifugal supercharger and the associated intercooler and piping. It has BBK LT headers, to BBK Off-Road H-Pipe, and stainless 40 series with dumps. While the car doesn't sound bad, it doesn't have the metallic echo sound or pops that previous 4.6 DOHC's have had... specifically an 03' Cobra swapped 03' Mach 1 that I owned several years ago.

The car rips, gets good mileage, and doesn't leak or smoke... but I'm trying to figure out what could impact the exhaust tone? The engine is an unknown as it is a 96' Cobra engine, but I have no idea if the bottom end is built... what cams its running. The Cam covers and intake were removed by a previous owner to have them powder coated which seems like a lot of work for just cosmetics but who knows? Any ideas... could it be tune related? I'll try to get some video tonight.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
what exhaust was on the previous 4valve car?

My initial guess is that's a mix of exhaust components and B vs C heads

01silverstang

Established Member
what exhaust was on the previous 4valve car?

My initial guess is that's a mix of exhaust components and B vs C heads
Yeah the previous car was an 03’ Cobra engine with the newer heads. Brand were different but exhaust components were the same, LT headers, off road h pipe, Flowmaster 40 series.

9397SVTs

Established Member
Premium Member
The Flowmasters are costing you power.

As mentioned, a straight through design would be better. You can still run dumps. It will have a deeper tone than with tailpipes.

01silverstang

Established Member
Dumps and flowmasters are your problem. Get any straight through muffler with tailpipes and it'll get you want you want.
My question was what could effect the tone of my current 96' Cobra with identical exhaust components to the Mach 1 with the 03' Cobra motor. I like Flowmaster 40 series mufflers on Mustangs, just not sure why on the 96' they don't have the same sound characteristics as the newer DOHC 4.6... sounds like it may be related to the heads.
The Flowmasters are costing you power.

As mentioned, a straight through design would be better. You can still run dumps. It will have a deeper tone than with tailpipes.
The question wasn't are straight through better than chambered mufflers. I know chambered don't flow as well as straight through but I love the sound of Flowmaster 40 series.

9397SVTs

Established Member
Premium Member
My question was what could effect the tone of my current 96' Cobra with identical exhaust components to the Mach 1 with the 03' Cobra motor. I like Flowmaster 40 series mufflers on Mustangs, just not sure why on the 96' they don't have the same sound characteristics as the newer DOHC 4.6... sounds like it may be related to the heads.

The question wasn't are straight through better than chambered mufflers. I know chambered don't flow as well as straight through but I love the sound of Flowmaster 40 series.
My answer was adding to what 5.0 Hatch said. Chambered mufflers will have a deeper and more muffled tone than non-chambered mufflers. A non-chambered muffler will most likely give you the hollow and poppy sound you are after.

Maybe the difference is in the tune with respect to timing and fueling.

Roots-type

+displacement
Established Member
The difference in compression will affect it, so will different piston materials

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
The IRS tails take a different route than a SRA. That could be the difference in sound.
I wouldn't change the exhaust on my 98 if someone paid me. I finally achieved the sound I wanted.

01silverstang

Established Member
The IRS tails take a different route than a SRA. That could be the difference in sound.
I wouldn't change the exhaust on my 98 if someone paid me. I finally achieved the sound I wanted.
The 03’ Cobra motor was in a SRA Mach 1… this one is also SRA.

I did forget to mention that the Procharged 96’ is dumped, I want to add over the axle tail pipes and also have thought the additional exhaust pipe might add the echo I’m after.

Roots-type

+displacement
Established Member
I wondered this but got different answers, let’s say the engine got forged rods and lower compression pistons would that change the exhaust note?
Yes. Will it achieve the sound you're after? I don't know. Id start with some tail pipes first like mentioned above. Dumps are a joke for several reasons.

Tip style/size will affect sound too, as well as the the material the exhaust is made from. Stainless sounds best to my ears. It has a certain 'ring' that mild steel doesn't. A stainless catback is a must.

01silverstang

Established Member
Yes. Will it achieve the sound you're after? I don't know. Id start with some tail pipes first like mentioned above. Dumps are a joke for several reasons.

Tip style/size will affect sound too, as well as the the material the exhaust is made from. Stainless sounds best to my ears. It has a certain 'ring' that mild steel doesn't. A stainless catback is a must.
My 40 series are stainless, and LMR has stainless tail pipes as well.

Users who are viewing this thread