96 cobra handleing

ju015dd

64 valves
Established Member
I know the car is getting up in age and all, but I am looking to see what parts I need to replace for the sloppy steering I feel while driving. Car has 102,xxx on her and just feels loose on the road. Any idea of what parts I need to look into upgrading. thanks

my94pony

addicted
Established Member
shocks/struts, upper and lower control arms, subframe connectors, lowering springs

all depends on what you are going to spend

Toasty

Established Member
I installed 03-04 Cobra front A-Arms, and energy suspension rack bushings. The difference in how tight the front end felt was amazing.

ksigatmsu7f02

Established Member
I installed 03-04 Cobra front A-Arms, and energy suspension rack bushings. The difference in how tight the front end felt was amazing.

It seems like I have read it before but remind me what is the advantage of the 03/04 a arms? Do you think it was this or the energy suspension rack bushings that firmed up the handling more?

Personally my 98 feels tight and I don't see alot of room for improvement but that may just be because I haven't driven something tighter to compare it....

mu22stang

[_==[_=_][_=_3[_=_< /_=_\
Established Member
shocks/struts, upper and lower control arms, subframe connectors, lowering springs

all depends on what you are going to spend

Save the money on the aftermarket upper and lowers, that's more for straight line racing. Keep it stock and when the times comes, bite the bullet and get a panhard bar or watts link setup with a torque arm.

Steering rack bushings. I have solid offset ones. But if you like less NVH go with urethane

The solid aluminum bushings do not increase NVH at all. The offset ones are for specific applications, based on the K-member. If it's a stock K, the center punch bushings will do. The urethane is a waste IMHO. The solids will vastly improve steering feel. Best $40 you can spend on this car.

Steering shaft bushing

A solid steering shaft will remove the stock rag joint setup. This is a great mod and improves steering feel significantly. But like the steering rack bushings, it's a confidence booster, not a performance enhancing mod.

It seems like I have read it before but remind me what is the advantage of the 03/04 a arms? Do you think it was this or the energy suspension rack bushings that firmed up the handling more?

Personally my 98 feels tight and I don't see alot of room for improvement but that may just be because I haven't driven something tighter to compare it....

The '03/'04 control arms have improved geometry and very stiff rubber bushings. This is a direct swap, and a great mod.

Last edited:

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
For better steering response, I'd go with:
Correct, shorter end links for your lowering springs
MM SOLID steering rack bushings (nothing "offset")
Termi Steering shaft
Termi front control arms

Those 4 pieces will make a dramatic change in the slop in your steering

C O 13 R A

Crazy Arms
Established Member
You may also want to inspect the condition of your outer and inner tie rod's on your steering column. I can tell you for a fact that if you have even the smallest amount of play (aside from OEM tolerances) in either of those you WILL have sloppy steering/performance.

ju015dd

64 valves
Established Member
For better steering response, I'd go with:
Correct, shorter end links for your lowering springs
MM SOLID steering rack bushings (nothing "offset")
Termi Steering shaft
Termi front control arms

Those 4 pieces will make a dramatic change in the slop in your steering

nice, guess I have some money to save up.

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
It's about $500 total for parts, and a saturday's work. You'll notice a dramatic improvement for sure.
For now just buy the sterring rack bush's and the end links. you'll notice a nice improvement for about $60 in parts.

fast_lane

Cobra Junkie
Established Member
You know, now that you mention it, I think you're right.

Could always go to a solid steering shaft, I suppose...

I use the Solid Steering Shaft myself, although it seems to have better response, on a rough road I feel the lumps and bumps much more..

ju015dd

64 valves
Established Member
It's about $500 total for parts, and a saturday's work. You'll notice a dramatic improvement for sure.
For now just buy the sterring rack bush's and the end links. you'll notice a nice improvement for about $60 in parts.

I forgot to mention I have the endlinks already on the car. Guess I need to get the steering rack bushings and I have been wanting to get some 03 04 cobra arms. I found some used ones with ball joints for like 75 bucks shipped. Not sure how many miles on them but gotta be better than my stockers.

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
Even when bought brand new, the termi arms come with new bj's.

$75 is a hell of a deal. Snatch 'em up.
The rack bush's are $40 through MM

Add those 2 pieces and you'll notice an improvement for sure!

Users who are viewing this thread