96 cobra gas smell under the hood with my a/c on at idle

shelbycobra

Established Member
let me start off by saying i have the upgraded alternator on my car and i have added a couple extra ground cables too.but the other day when it was 97 degrees out side i turned my a/c on and while on the four lane i noticed my temp hand going up to 3/4 and my volt hand was showing on the low side and also noticed my car not having the power it should so when i got home and pulled my car into my garage i raised the hood and i smelled gas fumes real bad but today i ran the a/c and the car ran fine but when i parked i smelled gas fumes but with the a/c off on the other days i drove it i smelled no gas fumes can some one please help wit hsome kind of advice thanks

PSUCOBRA96

Established Member
Check the o rings on all the injectors first and see if any are torn then work your way back and see if you can find a fuel leak on the fuel rail or fue pressure regulator.

shelbycobra

Established Member
thanks i will i drove it again today and on the passenger side i smell gas and its around the fuel rail and i am guessing its the o rings towards the front of engine that was where the smell was strongest so i will tear it down and check the o rings thanks

04DeadShort

SVT Addict
Established Member
Could be your line for the charcoal canister. Usually when these crack a gas smell with sneak in through the air vents. It's in the engine bay on the passenger firewall next to the AC drier/accumulator. It should be plugged into the intake manifold. Fairly large line but little smaller than 3/8. Wear gloves because when you touch it'll turn your fingers black. That's how you know it's the right line.

shelbycobra

Established Member
i dont have a smell coming in my air vents the smell is under my car hood on the passenger side engine bay i smell it when i park my car in the garage i think your right its around my injector o-rings or the fuel rail but i will try and find a hose that goes to my charcoal canister and replace it too

01yellercobra

Established Member
I'd get the alternator checked out too. Just because it's upgraded doesn't mean it's good. It might have a problem keeping up when things get hot. That would lead to the fan not working correctly which leads to the engine running warm with the A/C on.

Users who are viewing this thread