96 cobra front suspension q?

tjensen717

Established Member
Hey guys my cars got 168,000 miles on it and you could guess stuffs starting to fall apart. planning on doing all new suspension bushings and don't know what works and what doesn't for the front control arms. I'm finding kits for sleeveless and with metal sleeves and plan on doing the steeda ball joints. Any other suggestions?

Snagmaster

Established Member
Well, I typed out a really long helpful advice post for you and then when I tried to post it that silly "are you a robot" garbage came on, I did the requested task, then it locked up my phone and lost the post, I don't know what to do now.

Sorry, I'm not doing it again right now

Snagmaster

Established Member
I'll go out to the garage and list the tools I used doing mine, you do need two torque wrenches, a 3/8 and a 1/2, I have both from snap on but other types may cover the range.

You'll torque from 35-190 ft lbs doing the job, you'll also need metric wrenches from 14-24 mm and a small male torx bit for the ABS sensor.

You'll need to remove the steering rack bolts to move the rack out of the way to remove the forward control arm (CA) bolts, you should get a Chiltons manual, the Haines is worthless, (known as "heinous"), it didn't mention removing the rack bolts to remove the CA bolts, I found a certain way to set the car on stands to make it easy to do the work and not have to re-position it, to torque the control arm bolts when you're done you have to do it a certain way to make it easier.

I'll be back a little later today.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread