96 cobra engine problems

Mystic#519 Cameron

Svt_cameron
Established Member
im new to the forum and new to my cobra as well and im hoping someone can help me with my problem. so i got my 96 cobra about 4 months ago and well its definitly a little project but i mean i got a hell of a deal, i traded a fourwheeler for it and it was in ok shape and ran ok. guy i bought it from had no knowledge of its past but its been through alot. so it has a problem staying on when its cold, ill turn the key and it will turn over and try to idle for a few seconds then die. i have to hold the gas at about 3 rpms for 10 minutes to keep it running until its warm enough to stay on. and also when i give it gas i will lightly tap the gas or even just press on it normal about as much for it to go 3 rpm and the rpms shoot up to 5 but i will barely press the gas then it takes the car a sec for the rpms to go back down. ive searched every thread and have replaced my tps, my iac and my maf sensor but nothing has changed. and also the car backfires alot when its cold and trying to warm up, i can tell theres a really bad exhaust leak and i think the engine is running rich cus i drained the oil and it smelled like gas. i dont know what it could be or what to do. can someone help?

Mystic#519 Cameron

Svt_cameron
Established Member
Are you throwing any ghost CEL's? Did you clean or replace your IAC?
yes its givin me codes p0412 secondary injectiom system valve a malfunction and p1507 manifold control veh. spd. idle speed control auxilary inputs. and yes i replaced my AIC and nothing changed.

SVTCOBRA9629

Established Member
Have you checked to see if the SAI had been deleted? I don't see it being the issue for the symptoms for the stated above due to I have had them deleted on every cobra I owned.
Reach behind the back of the intake and grab ahold of the cables for the IMRC and feel for them to move while you rev the car over 3250RPM.

But you stated the car is in rough shape and have not been taken care of so I would do a full once over everything from top to bottom. Go through every vacuum line, pvc hose. Clean the iac(is it making a whistling or humming noise from the intake tube?). Clean the maf.

As mentioned already sounds like you will be pulling the imrc to clean them and for all you know they have been deleted or modded by now.

Mystic#519 Cameron

Svt_cameron
Established Member
Are your IMRC valves maybe stuck some way?
The codes for the IMRCs.. Not hard to get to them and clean them out!

yea i took the intake off and got to the imrc plates and looked at them and the passenger side imrc is missing what looks like one of the silver plugs, there is three on both of the imrc plates and its the middle plug and it looks like a piece might be broken off inside of the plate

Mystic#519 Cameron

Svt_cameron
Established Member
Have you checked to see if the SAI had been deleted? I don't see it being the issue for the symptoms for the stated above due to I have had them deleted on every cobra I owned.
Reach behind the back of the intake and grab ahold of the cables for the IMRC and feel for them to move while you rev the car over 3250RPM.

But you stated the car is in rough shape and have not been taken care of so I would do a full once over everything from top to bottom. Go through every vacuum line, pvc hose. Clean the iac(is it making a whistling or humming noise from the intake tube?). Clean the maf.

As mentioned already sounds like you will be pulling the imrc to clean them and for all you know they have been deleted or modded by now.
yea its been deleted. and i checked all the hoses and they are good, i have replaced most of them already and it has a new iac and no intake sounds normal and i put a new maf sensor in. and the car wont start, it will hardly turn on, it turns over for less then a second and it shuts off and smoke comes from the back of the engine, it smells like gas. i think it could the exhaust leak has gotten that bad or a blown head gasket but the oil didnt have water in it when i drained it

Mystic#519 Cameron

Svt_cameron
Established Member
here is a link to the video i took a few days ago of the problem its having with not wanting to start and smoking a little from the back.

SVTCOBRA9629

Established Member
Check a plug now and see if it's soaked in fuel after trying to crank it. Has the motor been apart? Have any codes?

Sent from my 306SH using Tapatalk

Mystic#519 Cameron

Svt_cameron
Established Member
Check a plug now and see if it's soaked in fuel after trying to crank it. Has the motor been apart? Have any codes?

there wasnt any fuel on the plug when i checked. and the motor hasent been taken apart, atleast not while i have had it. it does have new motor mounts though. i texted the previous owner and he said the owner before him had a steeda timing adjuster on it. and i have a buddy of mine coming on wednsday to help me fix the exhaust leak

ashleyroachclip

Established Member
Other than the exhaust leak we can hear , it sounds like it is not getting enough fuel to stay running possibly.

Mystic#519 Cameron

Svt_cameron
Established Member
ok so exhaust leak has been fixed but car still wont start so ive went to the oriellys by by house and got a compression test gauge so im going to do that today when i get home. if that checks out ok then i think its the fuel pressure because fuel comes out when i press the nipple down on te rail and a little fuel comes out, i would think it would spray out harder than it was

SVTCOBRA9629

Established Member
Cycle the key a couple times then check the fuel pressure at the Schrader valve like u mentioned before

Mystic#519 Cameron

Svt_cameron
Established Member
Cycle the key a couple times then check the fuel pressure at the Schrader valve like u mentioned before

sorry for the late reply, broke my phone a while back. but it had low fuel pressure so i primed it like 20 times and it struggled to turn on so i replaced the spark plugs then i did it 20 more times and it started up. i did a little more poking around and found it has a 5.0 computer in it so i think thats why its running rich, i put the origional 4.6 conputer in it but it doesnt want to stay on for more than a second but ill figure somthing out. thank yall for the help i appreciate it

Users who are viewing this thread