96 cobra build motor 10.1cr t trim (ran outa fuel)

mystickb1996

Established Member
This weekend i was tuning my 96 cobra and in the upper rpm 5800+ it started breaking up and the o2's were showing .93 on bank one and .72 and dropping on bank 2. i have my a/f set at 11.3 with meth throughout the pull and when it hit 5800 it went lean and i got out of quick. My thinking is bank 1 is hogging all the fuel and there's not enough supply to make it around the rail to bank 2. My current fuel setup is a 255 intake with a t-rex inline and 60's. That worked great for the s trim setup i had but with this t trim and 16lbs im roughly around 630-650whp depending on tune. Im thinking my only option to do it correctly is to buy a glenns 1000hp fuel system. Im thinking of switching over to e85 anyways so i figure this setup would be ideal. i also was looking into a sumped tank.
let me know your thoughts or any other ways i could go about making this work.
thanks

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
Yea my stock intake with a 255 inline and 60's was getting really close to maxing out around 600rwhp. and by that I mean around 90% so I'd bet you are well into the maxed out range easily. The car should be making close to 680rwhp on that setup with the compression..

mystickb1996

Established Member
Hey man thanks for the reply, I know you had pretty close to the same setup before so that would make sense. What did you go with to solve this issue? I haven't dyno'ed it yet so not sure where I'm at but it feels extremely strong and I haven't even got to shift at redline yet. I'm wondering where the stock lines and rails max out. I have a feeling I'm way over what they can support also.

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
Well I'm not sure on the exact level of "maxing out" for them, if their is one.. I would just upgrade personally.. I went with a glenns setup but probably wouldn't do it again.. I didn't like their tank all that much. I would run what I"m running now.

Behind Bars racing cars tank
Big external ( I upgraded to a weldon pump, but ran a A1000 for years with no issues and no controller in Mobile and it was just fine)
-8 feed, -6 return PTFE lines
Fuel rails of choice
Maybe get some ID1000's in there since they are all matching flow numbers.

If you're thinking about going to E85, and pushing that much power get ID1000,s and the Weldon DB-2025A, with their controller and fuel filter from Weldon. Get a good regulator too

Last edited:

mystickb1996

Established Member
thats what i was ready to pull the trigger on. glens forced induction 1000hp kit with 2 255 external pumps. what was wrong with the tank? they sell the kit also with a pickup tube to reuse the factory tank, not sure if this is a good option. i have 60s now but was going to just step up to 80s. lol trying to keep cost some what down even know that doesn't work so well. As you know!

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
I would skip the Glenns tank and get a BBRC tank, They are waaaay nicer. Twin 255's won't be enough for E85 and aren't E85 Compatible.. I would do what I suggested and you'll be one happy camper.. A little more expensive but I promise you it's cheaper than doing it twice when you realize that it won't be enough fuel. ;)

mystickb1996

Established Member
alright, i looked into the BBRC systems. Would the complete system they sell work well? its not much more then the glenns setup and comes with a way better pump. i want to buy a complete system as i don't have time to piece one together even tho it would probably be more cost effective. was the tank a bolt in? no modification for mounting or fuel fill? and the lines that come with it are Fragola which i think leak vapors so id prob buy the PTFE
thanks for the help
heres the BBRC system i looked at
http://www.behindbarsracecars.com/Mustang-aluminum-tank-Mustang-fuel-system-p/bbrccfs9499-41402.htm

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
I'm not to sure on the filler neck but it should be fine. I would call them and ask though.. I rans a glenns tank from a 99+ and I Switched the filler neck. I have my 98 still though.. So I gotta switch it out still for my 98 one.. I would talk to them about upgraded to the PTFE fragola lines. it probably isn't that much of a added cost.

mystickb1996

Established Member
Ok so Iv been looking into this more and I think I want to put this system together myself. I'm considering a magnafuel 625 or 750 protuner pump. I like the idea that magnafuel pumps do not require a controller or Hobbs switch. Next summit sells ptfe line for a good price so figured those would work. Filters I was either looking at fuelab or aeromotive,not sure yet. And rails and regulator I'm still up in the air with, fore sells a nice one I'm considering. Tank will be a sumped BBRC tank. Only think I'm really unsure of is how to piece together the fittings needed. I know I need PTFE fittings but not sure how many or bends for that matter. I'm thinking it will be a -10 suction, -8 feed and -6 return. Any input on how to figure out the fittings would be helpful. Thank you

1996MysticSnake

Established Member
I have a magnafuel 625 and have zero issues with it. FYI, I don't drive the car in the winter but the pump can get a little finicky and not want to turn on sometimes when it really cold out.

mystickb1996

Established Member
Thanks for the info, I'm considering the 625 instead of the 750 just because the 625 flows more then enough and might be better suited for a street car. My car only gets driven in the summer, maybe 1500 miles a year so shouldn't be an issue. Our setups are damn near identical. T-trim, built 10.1cr motor, built 3160 trans,built rear, treadstone 1245 fmic ect ect.... What did yours make? Any advice on the fittings and rails/regulator to use?

Users who are viewing this thread