96 cobra broken rear sway bar - recommendations

92whitestang

Established Member
Went to leave the house a few minutes ago and heard alot of clankin in the rear. Uh o! Pulled back in the driveway and found the rear sway bar broken where it mounts on the passenger side. Its a 96 Cobra.

This is my daily so I want it to be safe from 0-the speed limit :rockon: on any road. What is everyone's recommendations on a replacement unit? Any difference between a stock unit vs. aftermarket?

I appreciate the guidance. :beer:

Last edited:

crazycarlo

Established Member
is the bar broken or the mount broken? You could always get an aftermarket one and its sure to be a little bigger then the stock one.

cobraman1024

Waiting to be Blown....
Established Member
How many miles are on your Mystic? I've got 178,000 on mine and I still haven't broken the sway bar yet. I'd go with the Eibach front/rear sway bar set. Your car will be a little more fun to drive through the curves.

92whitestang

Established Member
I couldn't crawl under there too far and the damn mount is right behind the tire. I believe the mount broke right above and below the hole for a bolt. No big deal. I'm sure it will be easy to get out tomorrow and I'll likely replace it with a factory unit that someone in the area has laying around. I'll probably drive it a few days without but nothing too fast.

Toasty

Established Member
The factory bars are well known for their weakness. I broke mine after having the car about a month. lol.

The Ford replacement bars are solid pieces and are reinforced in the area where the old OEM pieces used to fail.

Guizá

Established Member
Get yourself an oe replacement. And while your at it, give Steeda a call and get yourself their rear adjustable sway bar partner. You'll thank me later.

digdugdaddy

Tainty Suprise
Established Member
And while your at it, give Steeda a call and get yourself their rear adjustable sway bar partner. You'll thank me later.

When he spins out going around turns? The Steeda bar makes the rear bind entirely too much. There's countless research/threads on CornerCarvers and Corral that will give the the scientific explanation as why, but trust me, you do not want one.

And yes, I've used them before and found out the hard way, save your money and put it towards a PHB or something that actually works on the rear.

Guizá

Established Member
When he spins out going around turns? The Steeda bar makes the rear bind entirely too much. There's countless research/threads on CornerCarvers and Corral that will give the the scientific explanation as why, but trust me, you do not want one.

And yes, I've used them before and found out the hard way, save your money and put it towards a PHB or something that actually works on the rear.
Whatever tickles your pickel. I've had nothing but positive with it on my rear setup. So I thought I would share.

92whitestang

Established Member
thanks for the responses everyone.

Car has 61k miles. I'll likely buy a used stock bar from someone local.

I'll probably take the old off in the morning. Anyone think driving a week without one will hurt?

mysteed

Established Member
thanks for the responses everyone.

Car has 61k miles. I'll likely buy a used stock bar from someone local.

I'll probably take the old off in the morning. Anyone think driving a week without one will hurt?
You'll be fine driving without one, you'll just notice more body roll without it. I've been driving without one ever since I found what was left of mine when I bought the car:

IMG_1252.jpg

92whitestang

Established Member
An update for when this thread becomes an archive and someone finds it while searching in years.

I installed the Steeda Heavy Duty rear sway bar this weekend. Honestly, seems like a waste of $200 thus far. On the street I didn't notice any difference without or without the bar. Been disappointed with the results. If I could do it again, I would still do it because I just like things to be right. But for those where money is tight and you dont have the cash, dont waste any on this.

Thats all.

mrxr250rider

Established Member
rear swaybars dont make a noticable difference. i broke the rear swaybar on my old gt replaced the rear swaybar first with the eibach kit i bought,didnt notice any difference. the front one on the other hand helped with handling.

bmorecobra

Off stacks
Established Member
An update for when this thread becomes an archive and someone finds it while searching in years.

I installed the Steeda Heavy Duty rear sway bar this weekend. Honestly, seems like a waste of $200 thus far. On the street I didn't notice any difference without or without the bar. Been disappointed with the results. If I could do it again, I would still do it because I just like things to be right. But for those where money is tight and you dont have the cash, dont waste any on this.

Thats all.

This, I did the same thing when my sway bar broke and I did not notice one iota of difference (though I didn't really expect to). I just know it won't break again!

Shifty Powers

The Shifty Mobile
Established Member
^ +1

I drove my mustang for 4 years or so without a rear swaybar.. Ive autoxed it and all without it.. its safe..

Recently put on a set of eiback front/rear sways.. Havnt driven it enough to notice much but it did feel a little stiffer turning..

and now i feel good knowing I have one, and Im damn sure the new one will not break

Users who are viewing this thread