96 cobra breaking up real bad/running bad

03blkann

Established Member
Hello everyone, I have a 96 cobra and I recently had it tuned, the car was running great for a little while then started breaking up really bad at about 3-4k rpms at half throttle, but ran ok at wot. Took it back to the tuner he changed the belt and put another stock tensioner on the car and said he adjusted the tune a little and again it's ran good for a little while, but then it started breaking up real bad again. So I figured it had to be something on my end, replaced the maf sensor, got a thump tensioner gates belt new plugs the list goes on I've literally fixed everything on the car that I thought may be causing the issue. The tuner had the car on a safe tune running it pretty rich but now its just over fueling and pegged at 10.0 on the air fuel meter.

List of mods:
D-1sc Procharger
Sct ba2600 90mm maf sensor
Long tube headers, off road xpipe
60lb injectors, 340lph aero pump
Bbk twin 65mm throttle body

A few people are thinking I may need to take it elsewhere to get tuned, and that the tune is bad? But then again it doesn't make sense the car was running good then started running like crap. Anyways any input would be great I'm at a loss as of now and not sure what direction to go in.

Edit : I am throwing bank 1-2 system rich check engine codes, also random cylinder 1 or random cylinder misfire.

Last edited:

03blkann

Established Member
Issues with 96 cobra tune I believe? "Read below"

Hello everyone, I have a 96 cobra and I recently had it tuned, the car was running great for a little while then started breaking up really bad at about 3-4k rpms at half throttle, but ran ok at wot. Took it back to the tuner he changed the belt and put another stock tensioner on the car and said he adjusted the tune a little and again it's ran good for a little while, but then it started breaking up real bad again. So I figured it had to be something on my end, replaced the maf sensor, got a thump tensioner gates belt new plugs the list goes on I've literally fixed everything on the car that I thought may be causing the issue. The tuner had the car on a safe tune running it pretty rich but now its just over fueling and pegged at 10.0 on the air fuel meter.

List of mods:
D-1sc Procharger
Sct ba2600 90mm maf sensor
Long tube headers, off road xpipe
60lb injectors, 340lph aero pump
Bbk twin 65mm throttle body

A few people are thinking I may need to take it elsewhere to get tuned, and that the tune is bad? But then again it doesn't make sense the car was running good then started running like crap. Anyways any input would be great I'm at a loss as of now and not sure what direction to go in.

Edit : I am throwing bank 1-2 system rich check engine codes, also random cylinder 1 or random cylinder misfire.

Last edited:

1996MysticSnake

Established Member
Check the coil packs, you may have an injector that's stuck open. Check to see if the fuel pressure bleeds down real quick after you prime it with the key

cbrown9064

Established Member
If it is too rich, it will misfire. Lean it up into the 11s at wot and see what happens.

However, you need to get your MAF curve to match what the computer is commanding. Get that dialed in and I bet your problems go away.

Users who are viewing this thread