96 Cobra Boost/Timing/Fuel Issue???

DoinWork

Established Member
I have a Vortech S-Trim on my car. The latest problem with it is, as soon as it gets to 9-10PSI at WOT it starts to cut out and fall on it's face which is around 4.8k - 5.3k RMP. Usually it will creep up to 12-13PSI when it is running right.

When it does this it seems like the ECU is pulling 12 degrees timing out.

It has a brand new stock in tank fuel pump and a brand new T-Rex in line pump that comes with the supercharger kit.

It gets to 50PSI solid fuel pressure when this happens.

I also just put a brand new fuel filter, plugs, wires, and coil packs on the car.

Checked around for vacuum leaks too. Can not figure out what the problem is.

Any ideas anybody?

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
What coil packs and spark plug wires did you use, along with spark plugs and what are they gapped at?

DoinWork

Established Member
the coil packs and wires are duralast. the plugs are NGK TR6 and come gapped how they need to be. Like mid 30s i think. It was doing this before I did all that though. I'm pretty sure it is in the tune, but just thought I would post and see what people say.

I don't understand how the tune could have changed. I had a fuel pressure issue for awhile that was making it hit fuel cut but now it should be getting plenty of fuel.

Is it possible for the ECU to 'forget' the tune if it goes awhile hitting fuel cut?

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
It doesn't seem like fuel if the PSI is at 50psi... It should be regulared by boost.. 1psi for 1psi..

I'd be willing to bet that it's not fuel atleast.. Sounds like spark blowout issues.

DoinWork

Established Member
It doesn't seem like fuel if the PSI is at 50psi... It should be regulared by boost.. 1psi for 1psi..

I'd be willing to bet that it's not fuel atleast.. Sounds like spark blowout issues.

I agree. The fuel is fine now, but for a long time it was not. I'm wondering if the fuel issue being like that for long up until recently could have messed with the ECU because before the fuel issue it ran great. Fuel pump went out and I replaced it with something to just get me around until I could afford a T-Rex. Now I have the fuel issue worked out, but it is still acting the same way.

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
Go and get it tuned and see what it's doing if anything at all.. the ECU doesn't just get messed up like that..

ZeroDCX

Established Member
I normally don't do this. But go with stock motorcraft coil packs and frpp wires. I've went through 4 sets of duralast wires over a period of a month. My car would break up under load. They all had insulation issues, arching between wires and cam covers. I switched to FRPP wires and haven't had any issues since.

DoinWork

Established Member
Figured it out.... I set my spark plug gap to .032 like vortechs website said and it was causing the spark to blow out.

Gapped them to .026 and it runs like a champ now.

Users who are viewing this thread