'96 Cobra 10psi P1SC Installed...only seeing 5psi.

svtruck

Huge Member
Established Member
collibr1 said:
If you put a fresh set of plugs in does it still break-up up top? Have you check the other things iat,pcv,fuel filter? Even running pig rich with a new set of plug it should not foul them right away.

Yep, it fouled my first set of plugs (stock platinums) while sitting in the garage warming up so I could burp the cooling system! I gave it a few revs, no more than 3K and then it started sputtering and died, then I couldn't get it started again.

I went and got this set and it started back up and runs fine...it only tries to foul them now when I run it up to 6K and above (haven't done that for 4 or 5 days now)...after running it up like that, when I let the RPMs drop to idle then push the clutch in it will immediately die...once I get it cranked again, it runs a little ratty until it cleans the plugs off again.

I haven't checked my idle-air valve (that's what you're referring to by "iat" right - not intake air temperature?) or my PCV, those would be more of poor idle problems wouldn't they??

But my fuel filter is only a couple thousand miles old, if that. I have good fuel pressure to...I'm running a Walbro 255lph in-tank, ATI-supplied 255lph auxillery pump, 42# injectors and a 90mm Lightning air meter.

I've spoken to two other Procharged Mustang owners who have had the EXACT same problem I'm having with the ATI-supplied Diablo chip/tune...they say that dyno-tuning will cure it by backing down the fuel trim in the upper RPMs. Apparently the ATI-supplied tune does not work well with the Lightning air meter and injectors.

Last edited:

collibr1

Established Member
I have never heard anyone having a good tune straight from Procharger either. I didn't even bother with thier tune. I agree that a custum tune will probably solve your issues. No, I am refering to the inlet air temp. sensor. Some time it can get a little dirty(belt dust, other kinds of dirt). I just use alcohol and a cutip.

svtruck

Huge Member
Established Member
collibr1 said:
I have never heard anyone having a good tune straight from Procharger either. I didn't even bother with thier tune. I agree that a custum tune will probably solve your issues. No, I am refering to the inlet air temp. sensor. Some time it can get a little dirty(belt dust, other kinds of dirt). I just use alcohol and a cutip.

That's what I have been hearing, over and over...I'm feeling pretty confident that a dyno-tune will fix my problems. Except for the fact that I'm only making 6psi max...this is with a 3.90" pulley that Procharger's tech confirmed is for 10psi on my application ('96 Cobra). He did say that my off-road h-pipe might be causing some of the boost loss. As long as it makes good power (so I feel I got what I paid for) I don't really care...but 6 is a lot less than 10, you know? I could maybe live with 8.

I actually wiped my IAT sensor off when I installed...but going on the advice of some others, I am going to move it to the pipe going into my throttle body...they say to put it pretty much anywhere after the intercooler so the ECU is getting a true reading of incoming air so it doesn't needlessly pull timing.

I also have an Anderson power-pipe to install...that may help reclaim some of my lost boost.

Hopefully there will be a happy ending to all of this mess! Hey, thanks for hte advice man, I appreciate it. :beer:

Last edited:

-Chip-

You Better Come Correct!
Established Member
svtruck said:
Chip, I think you mis-stated that. I think all of us are getting confused here. First off, that picture you posted is a blow-through, the air meter IS NOT in the intake pipe before the blower.

4.6_gt.jpg

Procharger sets up their kits as blow-throughs in which the air meter is in the passenger fender well. A blow off valve, surge valve or by-pass valve all essentially do the same thing, relieve unneeded charge air either to the atmosphere, or, in the case of a by-pass valve/surge valve vent it back into the intake pipe before the compressor.

My kit is a BLOW-THROUGH...my air meter is in the fender well. I have a by-pass valve that is hooked up exactly like the one in the picture you posted above...and it runs fine...until the upper RPMs...which is why I'm looking into a tune. I spoke in this thread earlier about converting to a draw-through, but I have not do so as of yet...because now I'm finding out that you can have your car tuned using a blow-through and it will run fine. I did buy an Anderson power-pipe however and I'm just going to install that and keep it as a blow-through.

Is everyone clear now? Not to be a dick and all, but this thing is confusing as it is and I'm getting all types of different advice and "you NEED to do this" and "you CANNOT do that"...I just want my car to run right!!
I certainly did mistate. It was 3 am in the morning before work. I wasn't even awake yet :)

Bro, do what YOU feel comfortable with. There is no reason you need to convert to a draw through. Your car is pretty much 90 percent here man, you just need a good tune that is all. This is no lie and most comments on here are nothing but educated opinions and past expiriences. Do what YOU feel is necessary. It's YOUR car. I will only say this however and I don't beleive 1 soul will disagree. You need to get tuned, otherwise your turning wrenches for nothing. During the tune you will really see what your car needs and what kind of adjustments.

Last edited:

-Chip-

You Better Come Correct!
Established Member
svtruck said:
It gives up on top because it is running VERY rich on the top end and is fouling my plugs...I'm going to have it dyno-tuned.

I'm running NGK TR5s at 0.35.
If your breaking up to your probably leaning out at high rpms. Possibly could be running out of fuel. Like collibir said. Get to the dyno, it's really a must you may hurt something.
If you don't have a wideband commander with an LM1 with a digital A/F readout then you really don't know if your running rich. Those little autometer wideband o2's plus that little a/f gauge that runs from green to red right to left has been known to give false data.

svtruck

Huge Member
Established Member
I'm not taking the car above 3K until I get it tuned...only did maybe 3 or 4 runs up past 6K to see how it runs. I think I'll get a lot of answers when I get it tuned. I need to have my O2 sensor bung welded into my h-pipe and my Dynojet WBC will be up and running. Was going to do that this weekend, but didn't get to it.

Running out of fuel? With a 255lph in-tank, 255lph aux. and 42# injectors?? I think that is PLENTY of fuel for up to 10psi.

-Chip-

You Better Come Correct!
Established Member
svtruck said:
I'm not taking the car above 3K until I get it tuned...only did maybe 3 or 4 runs up past 6K to see how it runs. I think I'll get a lot of answers when I get it tuned. I need to have my O2 sensor bung welded into my h-pipe and my Dynojet WBC will be up and running. Was going to do that this weekend, but didn't get to it.

Running out of fuel? With a 255lph in-tank, 255lph aux. and 42# injectors?? I think that is PLENTY of fuel for up to 10psi.
You have the capability of plenty of fuel, that doesn't mean your mail order tune has your injectors at the right duty cycle, trust me. Dyno shall tell all :) You'll be happy camper soon enough making nice hp.

caseydp75

My wife's handpuppet
Established Member
svtruck- I forgot to tell you about one leg of my journey. After Procharger admitted they actually did have problems with diabo chips, I was referred to the main diablo place in florida. I actually talked to someone there who explained it pretty well. He said that the physical procharger setup is pretty tough to tune around because of the bends in the piping. Rather than try to make the physical setup correct, procharger just tries to tune around it - which causes more problems that weren't there before. He then suggested that I try SCT since they have more success with prochargers. Evidently the SCT tuning software has more variables to fine tune. Again, JMS Chips sent me one in a matter of three or four days with three tunes. All three work somewhat, but one tune works really well. And when you buy the XCal2 you can datalog your O2 sensors, fuel pressure, MAF counts and rpm all at the same time and see what happens. If it's running too rich up high, just download their extreme tune software and change it yourself.

svtruck

Huge Member
Established Member
caseydp75 said:
svtruck- I forgot to tell you about one leg of my journey. After Procharger admitted they actually did have problems with diabo chips, I was referred to the main diablo place in florida. I actually talked to someone there who explained it pretty well. He said that the physical procharger setup is pretty tough to tune around because of the bends in the piping. Rather than try to make the physical setup correct, procharger just tries to tune around it - which causes more problems that weren't there before. He then suggested that I try SCT since they have more success with prochargers. Evidently the SCT tuning software has more variables to fine tune. Again, JMS Chips sent me one in a matter of three or four days with three tunes. All three work somewhat, but one tune works really well. And when you buy the XCal2 you can datalog your O2 sensors, fuel pressure, MAF counts and rpm all at the same time and see what happens. If it's running too rich up high, just download their extreme tune software and change it yourself.

Awesome Casey...thanks. I am actually going to have my car dyno-tuned at an SCT vendor here in Orlando....so it sounds like this may work out well. I'm very interested in that xcal2 as well...I love gadgets! I will post back just as soon as I have it tuned with my results.

caseydp75

My wife's handpuppet
Established Member
svtruck - Just be safe man. If your car isn't set up mechanically right, no tune can fix your problem. And there's very, very little chance it could be a PCV problem. I moved my IAT sensor from the plastic intake tube to the piping between the MAF and the TB. It didn't make much difference and if you look at the sticky at the top of the blower bistro you'll see it has more to do with idle than high rpm problems. Your MAF position is the same as mine, so I really think it's in the crappy diablosport chip. It's unfortunate, but its common and an achilles heel for procharger. I've never had mine dyno tuned. I figure the people who have their cars dyno tuned by tuners pay for the knowledge that I can buy mailorder. My O2 sensors and plugs tell me I'm running just right....

svtruck

Huge Member
Established Member
I have a Dynojet WBC but I don't have the O2 sensor bung welded in yet. I would still need a dyno-tune regardless because I can't change the programming of my chip...I guess an xcal2 lets you tweak it though apparently? Hopefully the tuner will have no problems with my car...I think everything is installed and running correctly...I just need to coordinate my time so I can get away from work long enough to get it on his dyno.

fast02gt

Established Member
I'm gonna have to defend my man on this one. Lamotta Performance and Jake, Jay, Billy and patrick. I have been going to Lamotta for 4 years and I couldn't be more happy. If you would have talked to Jake before hand he would have told you not to buy a procharger becuz of these reasons. Your gonna bash the man becuz he wanted to much money??? SO becuz you dont have the cash to pay for his work.. "you had a bad experience? He has done my Head/Camed GT, tuned it and has put every peice of my car together. Also not to mention he removed my motor 2 times and there was not one dent, sctrach, or anything on my car when i got it back. I have never heard anyone say bad things about Lamotta. I have heard alot of people say he gets pricy, but then you have to remember ok when I get my car back, its gonna be right and run perfect with no problems. The quailty work he does is 2nd to none and not to mention he goes the extra mile, where some shops stop.

svtruck

Huge Member
Established Member
Understood, Jay installed my gears for me and did a fantastic job...Lamotta's is the only shop I would ever take my car to. They did a lot of work for my on my previous Cobra.

However, point blank telling me that there is no way to tune my car without spending $1150 to convert it to a draw-through air meter is B.S. I have spoken to several other guys with Procharged cars who have had their cars dyno-tuned no problem.

svtruck

Huge Member
Established Member
Exactly...and Blivit from Perfection Performance...I'm heading to Justin at VMP to get my car tuned.

fast02gt

Established Member
Well i am sure there is a reason why Jake told you what he did. He never wants to do anything that, HE doesnt think is nesscary. He has to be one of the most honest guys i have ever meet. I just dont think he would try to charge you 1150 for no reason. and I bet you could tune it how it is like he said. But as you know when dealing with Jake...when he says that it will work but not as good as it could if u did it his way. O well everyone is different, I have heard decent things about Justin and Velocity Mustang Performance. He uses the same software jake uses so idk. But good luck.

collibr1

Established Member
fast02gt said:
I'm gonna have to defend my man on this one. Lamotta Performance and Jake, Jay, Billy and patrick. I have been going to Lamotta for 4 years and I couldn't be more happy. If you would have talked to Jake before hand he would have told you not to buy a procharger becuz of these reasons. Your gonna bash the man becuz he wanted to much money??? SO becuz you dont have the cash to pay for his work.. "you had a bad experience? He has done my Head/Camed GT, tuned it and has put every peice of my car together. Also not to mention he removed my motor 2 times and there was not one dent, sctrach, or anything on my car when i got it back. I have never heard anyone say bad things about Lamotta. I have heard alot of people say he gets pricy, but then you have to remember ok when I get my car back, its gonna be right and run perfect with no problems. The quailty work he does is 2nd to none and not to mention he goes the extra mile, where some shops stop.
Theres alot of people that like Lamotta and then thiers people like me who would not let them work on my car for free. Why would someone say not to buy a procharger, because they don't like to tune them. Thiers some sense for ya. Then to say he needs to switch to a draw-thru design.BS. Charge almost $1200 for a tune, thats pretty damn high. My car has stock heads, stock intake,and an F1 procharger(blow-thru setup) and is tuned with SCT software. The car makes over 600hp to the ground and runs better then it did when it was stock. And the tune was around half of that. IMO the shop I deal with blows Lamotta away.

-Chip-

You Better Come Correct!
Established Member
collibr1 said:
Theres alot of people that like Lamotta and then thiers people like me who would not let them work on my car for free. Why would someone say not to buy a procharger, because they don't like to tune them. Thiers some sense for ya. Then to say he needs to switch to a draw-thru design.BS. Charge almost $1200 for a tune, thats pretty damn high. My car has stock heads, stock intake,and an F1 procharger(blow-thru setup) and is tuned with SCT software. The car makes over 600hp to the ground and runs better then it did when it was stock. And the tune was around half of that. IMO the shop I deal with blows Lamotta away.
So much truth here. Lamotta is handing him a line.

fast02gt

Established Member
Jake thinks prochargers are junk! Thats why he doesn't wanna mess with them. The man that started the thread even said the instuctions suck and they have shitty tunes coming from them. I know if i had a shop, I wouldn't wanna mess with shit that doesn't come like its sposed to. :shrug: I dont know any shop thats better than Lamotta. Maybe fill me in on that one?

Users who are viewing this thread