96 Cobra 1/4 mile troubles

Dj97SN95

Established Member
Hi everyone, I am new to the forum. I recently bought a 96 Laser Red Cobra with 107,000 miles on it. Today I took it out to the drag strip to get some passes on it and get used to the car (It is my first daily driver with a manual transmission). From what I have read on other websites/forums, this cobra is capable of running high 13's (stock) in the hands of a good driver. My cobra is completely stock, and so far tonight this is the best time I've gotten:

14.699 @ 97.30 mph
60 ft: 2.350
330': 6.52
660': 9.617
1,000 ft: 12.388​
My question is what can I do to get down to around 14 flat or under? I know my 60 foot time is almost atrocious, so what kind of techniques are used to launch this thing properly on street tires, because I am obviously doing something wrong here?!?! :nonono: Also, to the best of my knowledge, nothing is currently wrong with the car. it did have a check engine light come on about a week ago for the IRMC, but a can of seafoam fixed that problem and the car seems like it has full power. Any advice is appreciated. :bowdown:

Last edited:

Geno-04

Established Member
You need to slip the clutch off the line....it's almost like riding the clutch if you don't know. That will help get your 60 ft under 2.0 From there you can then work on power shifting. It's easy to learn all these techniques on a stock car. Once you learn them, they will be with you forever.

ViciousBlack97

Established Member
The IMRCs could still be sticking. The only sure fire way to clean them is to disassemble the intake and bathe them in carb cleaner, or another kind of solvent (I used Berryman's B12, stuff is magic in a can). The best guide that I used was http://www.ozzy.net/jdscott/cobra/documents/IMRC_Cleaning.pdf. And definitely get an aftermarket shifter for the T45 with positive stops, the shift forks will not last long with high rpm power shifts.

Wynn

Wants 11's
Established Member
I dont think the IMRCs are sticking. It trapped 97 with an admittedly novice driver. Keep practicing, slip the clutch off the line, amd have fun. With a little practice you should be able to go 13s at a little over 100.

Good luck and have fun.

Dj97SN95

Established Member
Thank you all for your advice. Hopefully I will be heading back for Wednesday Night Drags again next week so I can get some more practice in. And a good short throw shifter is definitely on the list of things to do asap. what short shifter would you guys recommend? I see one on American muscle for roughly $70 that has good reviews and I see some shifters from other brands that go up to $160 :burnout:

Last edited:

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
As said, you are gonna have to ride the clutch out a bit.

Hold the rpms around 2500 and slip the clutch a little.
When you master that start raising the RPMs little by little until you find the point where the tires just can't hold anymore.
Then back it back down a couple hundred and go with it.

cbrown9064

Established Member
Thank you all for your advice. Hopefully I will be heading back for Wednesday Night Drags again next week so I can get some more practice in. And a good short throw shifter is definitely on the list of things to do asap. what short shifter would you guys recommend? I see one on American muscle for roughly $70 that has good reviews and I see some shifters from other brands that go up to $160 :burnout:

MGW is the one I recommend!

https://www.mgwshifters.com/shifters/mustangs/73

Last edited:

J.Rovirosa

Established Member
The IMRCs could still be sticking. The only sure fire way to clean them is to disassemble the intake and bathe them in carb cleaner, or another kind of solvent (I used Berryman's B12, stuff is magic in a can). The best guide that I used was http://www.ozzy.net/jdscott/cobra/documents/IMRC_Cleaning.pdf. And definitely get an aftermarket shifter for the T45 with positive stops, the shift forks will not last long with high rpm power shifts.

This.

The secondary ports get really fouled with no fuel going through them, so the Seafoam probably didn't get them as clean as you think. You should be trapping at least 100, barring any other issues.

Snake Bitten

Established Member

Pro 5

GRUSE

Established Member
Get some MT ET street bias ply tires for track use only,they will cut the 60 down.Ability to launch hard and your rear end will thank you.

Don't cheep out on parts like shiftier.Search this forum lots of posts on best parts for our cars,what works and whats a waste of money aka cold air/ram air intakes.

Users who are viewing this thread