96 - 98 vs 99 & 01

mikeisgod

Established Member
Hello people. I posted this in the SN95 forums as well. I'm looking at buying a cobra within the next 90 days. I would ideally like to spend between 10-15 grand, no more than 15 if possible. I'm trying to decide which year cobra I want... I would prefer a 99 or 01 as far as looks go (but I also like the earlier ones nearly as much) ... I plan on over the next couple years modding the car... I'm really hoping for 650+ RWHP probably by using a twin turbo setup... would I have better luck with one generation over the other... Or should I just try to find a good deal w/ low mileage and go from there? One other thing I would like about the 99 & 01 is the IRS... how much $$ am I looking at spending to do a swap to IRS on a 96-98?

Snake Eyes

Established Member
You can easily pick up a 99 for under 15k. Just make sure it has had the HP fix preformed. The 99 has many other advantages most notably the C heads vs the B heads on 96-98 cobras, and the coil on plug system. The IRS is great but you will want to mod it as well in order to get it to perform best. Most everything you need to know is in the forum sticky posts. Read them first then ask questions.

99flblackcobra

slow cobra
Established Member
You should go with the 99 & 01 . The 01 has the the cobra bumper but Most 99s have a better block .

PS: if you get a 96-98 I will sell you my IRS I am having it changed in 2 months.

rpalmer

What's the hurry?
Established Member
96-98 has the stick axle. If you're going for a twin turbo to get quickly down the dragstrip in a straight line, you probably wouldn't want to bother fooling with the IRS at that horsespower level.

If you do want IRS, I think the '01 has stronger halfshafts than the '99, right? Weren't they upgraded to 31 splines or was that only once the Terminator came on the scene?

If you're going FI with turbos, I suspect the difference between a B and C head might not be terribly apparent at the 650 horse level.

You'd better be prepared to forge your engine.

Once you get past the 10-15 purchase price, you're gonna spend a bunch more to get it where you want it.

-RP​

Last edited:

CobraG

Established Member
rpalmer said:
96-98 has the stick axle. If you're going for a twin turbo to get quickly down the dragstrip in a straight line, you probably wouldn't want to bother fooling with the IRS at that horsespower level.

If you do want IRS, I think the '01 has stronger halfshafts than the '99, right? Weren't they upgraded to 31 splines or was that only once the Terminator came on the scene?

If you're going FI with turbos, I suspect the difference between a B and C head might not be terribly apparent at the 650 horse level.

You'd better be prepared to forge your engine.

Once you get past the 10-15 purchase price, you're gonna spend a bunch more to get it where you want it.

-RP​

You are correct, the 01 has a 31 spline compared to the 99's 28 spline. As for getting the car up to 650 hp, I'll let the experts answer that.
Either of the year groups you are looking at are great IMO. If I could, I'd love to have my Laser Red 01 and a Black 98.
Also, alot of 01's do have the Teskid block, mine does. I don't think you can lose with either one, a 96-98 or a 99/01, it's going to come down to personal preference and what you can find in your price range.
Good luck

Users who are viewing this thread