96-98 mustang gt 1/4 times

91frppgt

Banned
hey guys, i have a 98 gt. new to the 4.6's. i've had several fox's. i raced a buddy in his 02 gt thats auto. from a 40 punch he got the jump and i stayed at his back bumper till 80-85 or so, then he started edging away slowly. then we went from a dead stop, i got a pretty good launch and had a car lenght on him till 70 then we shut down. he said the car runs 14.20's @ 98, all thats done to it is weld in flows, drop in k&n. my car was bone stock at that time. stock down to the air silencer, mufflers, and 6 cat-h pipe. i've recently added a bassani x pipe, and bassani catbacks.

i'm going to be getting a jlt CAI and a diablo sport tuner, and 3:90's very soon. I believe with good driving I can hit 13.60-13.90's in the car.

what do you guys think?

SLOW_GT

Established Member
i love my 373's cuz i use it alot on the freeway, but i wish i would have gone with 410's. im going to try to hit low 13's with out the heads and cams, i beat a 99 GT spining 1st and part of 2nd, and kept up to a littly modded 03GT, anyways let us know how it works out.

91frppgt

Banned
i'll probably get a trickflow upper elbow, t/b and mass air also. i'm sure with all the basic bolt ons I can hit some 13's...

then PI swap!

thanks guys, i'll let yall know how it works out!

i really want a 4:10...but i drive 60 miles + a day and its all highway...my car only has 50k miles now...gotta get a DD before i put that many miles on her!

swoosh_stang

I'm not evil, Trust Me
Established Member
96-98 GT's are at best a 14 sec car without changing the heads or going FI.

I would suggest heads as the first mod, you will not be disappointed.

blinelaxd27

Established Member
lol thats great u can beat a vette doesn't mean ur car is a low 13sec car. u need a head swap to run solid 13s. go to the track and see for urself

GT_Jim

Established Member
Not to burst a bubble.....but the NPI 4.6's do not respond well to the usual boltons. The reason is that the Heads/cams/intake are so restrictive to start with. What this means is that the factory stuff flows as much air as the engine can handle already. You will see very minimal gains and for the money it wont be worth it. Look into getting some different heads/intake. You can pickup a brand new set of PI heads with cams for about $800 and a new PI intake cost $200. Add in a head change kit for $120, so for about $1,300 (after shipping) you will see some real gains on that motor and that is still less money than all the boltons you can get and you will make more power. Now after you get all that done then the boltons will be helpful.

Alb Cobra

Established Member
I think if you hit an equal 0-60 ft time as your friend did I would say about a 14.3-14.5 at about 94-95mph. If you guys would have kept going he would of started realing you in between 70-98 mph.

Team Dave

I broke something
Established Member
My 98 GT when it was boooone stock went 14.8 @ 93.3 mph. After a Bassani o/r X, Magnapack catback, K&N FIPK, and B&M short throw, and FRPP 4.10's, it went 14.6 @ 96 mph. Both track times were on 245 street tires. I beat an 01 GT with full exhaust once.

I don't think you'll see better than a 14.2 without head/cam work. Basic bolt ons wont net you much power.

91frppgt

Banned
Team Dave said:
My 98 GT when it was boooone stock went 14.8 @ 93.3 mph. After a Bassani o/r X, Magnapack catback, K&N FIPK, and B&M short throw, and FRPP 4.10's, it went 14.6 @ 96 mph. Both track times were on 245 street tires. I beat an 01 GT with full exhaust once.

I don't think you'll see better than a 14.2 without head/cam work. Basic bolt ons wont net you much power.

i want to do some non-pi head work and cams....
i want to go FI eventually....

Alb Cobra

Established Member
Good runs, get some gears and try to cut a 2.000 an you will be in the low 14's possibly the 13.9's. What tire pressure did you run at? I usually run mine at about 26-27 psi on street tires.

91frppgt

Banned
well my back tires was at 32psi. i'm running goodyear gatorbacks...
i set it down to 18psi on the last run and heated them up a little.
i think on some d/r's and 3:90's i could pull some 1.9's 60's...

the mph is there for low low 14's... i need a k&n, pullies, t/b...maybe that will bump it up a mph or two...

Alb Cobra

Established Member
Definately on some dr's get MT's or BF's I wouldn't go with Nitto's I hear they are not as good. Try running in the mid 20's psi unless you are running dr's. See if your mph increases a little. I have been told on street tires not to heat them up too much, but enough to get the dirt off and get some of that good stuff to stick to your tires. I always cut better 0-60 ft times after warming them a tad bit. I think there is a happy median in lowering the psi with out lowering your trap speed.

JVENOM

Established Member
blinelaxd27 said:
lol thats great u can beat a vette doesn't mean ur car is a low 13sec car. u need a head swap to run solid 13s. go to the track and see for urself

lol yeah I've done head swap, and haven't broke 13's lol but this was my first time at the track, the traps were high enough for 13's but my 60 foot was shitty just like my tires.

Users who are viewing this thread