96-98 Kenne Bell and E-85 ?'s

Mystic-SVT

snuggle fest, mmmmm!
Established Member
I have a KB 1.5L non intercooled that I plan on installing soon and I was entertaining the idea of running E-85 on it. The kit came with a 255 walbro pump and I got a set of 42lb injectors for it. I don't plan on running high boost, just 8-9lbs max but would like to know what size injectors I would need to run E-85 and if a boost-a-pump would help the 255 pump keep up with the demand?

Would E-85 also be a good substitute to running a meth kit or am I better off staying with 93 octane and installing a meth kit?

-Esteban

Mystic-SVT

snuggle fest, mmmmm!
Established Member
u should be fine with the 42#...my question is y did u get the 1.7 when the 2.1 the current model?

I got a good deal on it so kind of hard to pass up. I know the 2.1 would have been better, but I figured if I for some reason am not happy with it I can always sell it. I'm not looking to make crazy #'s with it, just want some more power out of this torqueless B-head motor.

So the 42's and 255 will be enough to run E-85?

Teej281

Established Member
Well get it tuned on like 6psi and see how much room you have to go. Then go from there. 6psi will give you a nice gain and hold you over and then if you want more, then upgrade.

Turbo98

FR500TT
Established Member
I think E85 is the way to go with your non-intercooled KB. There has been analysis done with regard to spraying Meth before the air is compressed by the blower and it isn't that effective. I would definitely go with E85 and you will be able to crank the boost up a bit more later on with no worries.

It depends on the power but keep in mind that one Walbro is good for ~450-500rwhp max on gas and it takes 35-40% more E85 to make the same power as gas.

Sounds fun!

97novi2k

Established Member
Many people run the KB 2.1's with meth at 15lbs of boost on forged engines. Can you run 15lbs with the E85?

How close is the cooling from Meth to E85?

Turbo98

FR500TT
Established Member
Many people run the KB 2.1's with meth at 15lbs of boost on forged engines. Can you run 15lbs with the E85?

How close is the cooling from Meth to E85?
Technically, Methanol has a higher latent heat of vaporization which means it has a greater cooling effect. But Meth injection does not inject near as much alcohol vs. running E85. With Meth injection, you're maybe talking 20% Meth at the most. So maybe M20 vs. E85. I'm sure you can run 15 PSI with E85 if you can run it with Meth injection. If it was my car, I'd do it in a heart beat. But just to play it safe, I'd sneak up on the timing just to make sure. Ethanol is pretty amazing and I've never come across anybody detonating it. The EVO guys run 40+ PSI of boost which is insane.

Mystic-SVT

snuggle fest, mmmmm!
Established Member
Thanks for the great advice guys, especially you Turbo98. I think I will go ahead and get it tuned for E-85 and see what kind of results I get. I will start off with a 6lb pulley and see where my 42lb injectors and 255 pump are in duty cycle %. I can get my hands on a KB bap in case the pump starts to run out of steam. Either way I will most likely do the bap and tune for 8-9lbs depending on where my fuel system stands.

Turbo98

FR500TT
Established Member
Sounds like a good place to start. Please let us know the results. I'm curious to see what kind of power you make.

Users who are viewing this thread