96-98 cobra?

wtpSVTkh01

Established Member
im wanting to get a 96-98 cobra here in a couple years (gotta save up) and am wanting to learn alot about them. first i would like to ask which of these cobras would be the best year to get? second i would like to know where i can learn a lot on how do work mainly on the sn95 cobra but all other mustangs too myself. id rather learn to do it myself and hopefully open up a shop for mustangs and want to learn about them more in depth? any books or sites to learn from would be helpful if youve got any suggestions.

NeedaCobra

Master of the Obvious
Established Member
The 96 is good: first year of the modular 4.6 engine, Mystic Cobras were made in 96, however, 96s have a notorious heating problem but a lot of them have been fixed by Ford or private owners

97: Good year, maybe someone else can add about this year

98 had a better computer setup

I'm sure someone else can help more :thumbsup:

98 Yeller' SVT

Perpetual bottle filler
Established Member
I say 98.. more aggressive tune, cooler wheels, no ghey dash clock(JMO), and 98's are the last year of that body/engine style..an advantage from a collectors standpoint (If youre into that)
Plus, two words....CHROME YELLOW!

But I'm biased.:p

Last edited:

Doug

That Person.
Established Member
a buddy of mine has a 98 cobra with less than 20K miles (last time I talked to him it had 12k and he only drives on the weekedn) I think he wanted 16K or 17K for it. Not very many mods, just exhaust and some bigger tires

97whitecobra

Established Member
98' has cupholder instead of the ashtray in the center console. Another nice feature for 98'. Unfortunately I can't stand the knockoff Cobra R wheels they put on in 98 I actually like the 96-97 wheels better. You will want to change either set though, so I guess it doesn't matter much.

Doug that sounds like a great deal.

Lugi 98 SVT

Established Member
The location of the Cup holder actually sucks . Ever try to shift into 2nd with a cup of coffee in there? It's pretty much impossible. My coffee goes between the E-Brake and the passenger seat with no problem.
My Vert only has 25k on it.
If you could get that car for 16 or 17 you should.
I gave 19 for mine a year ago with 12 k on it but it's a convertible.

Yangman SVT

Established Member
I love my baby. Bought it 4 years ago w/ 6800 miles for $21,000.
New tranny and fuel pump around 9000 miles since that no problems. Current miles on the car 32k. Weekend driven

postin the midnight oil..
Established Member
Either year is good.They all have minor faults...And the 96 overhaeting is true,but way overhyped...

COBRASVT

Established Member
Originally posted by 98 Yeller' SVT

Plus, two words....CHROME YELLOW!

But I'm biased.:p

Yuuuuuuuup!

And the 98's have a larger fuel pump and composit IMRC plates.....

ALA G8R

Banned
Here is a good site for 96-98 info and differences. I had a 98 and it was a great car 275 RWHP with a C&L MAF and power pipe. I also had 3.73 gears. That was a great improvement over the 3.27 stocker.

Clicky

Peace!

Last edited:

wtpSVTkh01

Established Member
Originally posted by Lugi 98 SVT
The location of the Cup holder actually sucks . Ever try to shift into 2nd with a cup of coffee in there? It's pretty much impossible. My coffee goes between the E-Brake and the passenger seat with no problem.
My Vert only has 25k on it.
If you could get that car for 16 or 17 you should.
I gave 19 for mine a year ago with 12 k on it but it's a convertible.

i was looking on autotrader.com to see what people were selling theirs for and i saw a couple 96 with 55k for 12,500 or just a little more. they were garage kept, never saw rain, etc. i thought that was pretty awesome. i dont even drive yet but get my liscence in 2 months and ill be driving my moms 96 accord, its a little 4 banger and has no pick up and i really want a cobra. not sure if this would be a good first mustang, what do you think? anyways thanks for the suggestions and keep them coming.

98cobrancali

the mustang man
Established Member
tremec is the updated transmission to the t5, known as the t45, I am sure a 96 cobra would be a good first car, my 98 was the first one I bought, even though my first car was the 69 Mach 1, if you cant quite afford the Cobra there is always the older fox 5.0's, they are good cars and can mod them cheaper

GR8WHITE

The BIG FISH
Established Member
Originally posted by URDONE
www.corral.net

I think we can top their tech. You just gotta ask the questions.

Tremec is a reference to the transmission.

TTC bought BW in 1996. The T-45 is the TTC fixed T-5. So in simpler terms the T-45 is a Tremec, some just have the BW case.

I also vote for the 98's They have the rear sway bar fix, coolant issue fixed, and for some odd reason a touch more power. ;-)

Users who are viewing this thread