96-98 cobra owners help

mr.naldo

mr.naldo
Established Member
Hey guys!
My budy has a 98 svt cobra.The only mods done to it is a bbk air intake,about to bolt on a O/R x pipe and some flows.

Now for the help..
What do you guys recomend on getting next that will realy feel a power diffrence and is bang for the buck?:shrug:

Im sure you guys can provide some good suggestions:beer:

Thanks an advance:burnout:

Wynn

Wants 11's
Established Member
4.30s + Drag Radials. It will be an entirely different car, trust me. When I got mine installed, after the first drive, I was like :dancenana:

FSSNK

Established Member
Gears,4.30s, and a different air intake, JLT or UPR.

mr.naldo

mr.naldo
Established Member
Thanks guys:rockon:
He was thinking of getting some gears also.
He wanted to go with 373's.
He was thinking of getting 410's but i keep hearing 430's are the way to go?
Aren't 410's and 430's bad for a Daily driver?Isn't the gear ratio to high:shrug:

LitleWhiteSnake

Yeah, Its a VTEC
Established Member
i think 4:10s is too much well IMO. i would do 3;73's and add a 125 shot. btw longtube IMO dont do shit for how much their worth... 200 for LT's+500 for install and you only get like 13 wrhp, no thank you! my bro has 4:10s on his 04 and its too much on highway and remember 03 04 have a T56, now imagin it on a T45.... get the point.. now if you only drive it once in a blue moon then shit dont get 4;30's get 6:50's lol jk

nckissfan

Nevermore
Established Member
I daily drove my Cobra for several years with 4.10's, no problems at all. It actually made the ride to and from work a lot more fun:rolling:

PSUCOBRA96

Established Member
i think 4:10s is too much well IMO. i would do 3;73's and add a 125 shot. btw longtube IMO dont do shit for how much their worth... 200 for LT's+500 for install and you only get like 13 wrhp, no thank you! my bro has 4:10s on his 04 and its too much on highway and remember 03 04 have a T56, now imagin it on a T45.... get the point.. now if you only drive it once in a blue moon then shit dont get 4;30's get 6:50's lol jk

first off longtubes do not cost 200 bucks otherwise that be a great deal, you are looking at around 500 or so for BBK for longtubes and midpype, and more for hookers etc. They are a good mod as they provide more than just 13 rwhp, and will increase it all accross the powerband not just at the peak power, they will also increase your torgue output and flatten out the entiore powerbands curve. The more mods you have the more you will benifit from longtubes etc.

Also 3:73's will not give you enough umph, these cars come with a 3:27 and can barely get out the hole. Listen to everyone on the boards, many have swapped in 3:73s then 4:10's and then 4:30's etc.

The reason your bros 4:10s are too much on the highway is because of his supercharger and the gearing in his t-56, its too much gear for the car and will cause it to spin too much esp in first gear. 03-04's are completely different than the 96-98 you cannot compare them.

SVT-98-

3 Stangs & an Olds
Established Member
Get a shifter before all other, its not going to give you more hp, but will make the driving expirence much better. It also may save the trans.

mysicman

Resident Pill Pusher
Established Member
Just did 4.10's myself. Seat of the pants difference is huge and it only revs ~25-2600 @ ~70mph (keeping up with traffic I didn't check against gps yet).

SVT CAMR

Established Member
IMO. If you friend want some power and does not want to be constantly working and planning his next mods for the next 5 years he should just get a kenny bell blower and slap it on and be done. he will be alot happier in the end. By the time you done screwing around with headers and all the rest of the nonsense you will have some $$$$ in the car and it will be slow and have no low end TQ. Don't get me wrong I love my NA beast but when starting from scratch and not having a ton of knowledge about these cars and being on a budget means he will not want to do all the mods. The KB blower will make him smile on the street.

If he does go the long haul (here is the minimum short list)
get rid of the BBK intake pipe it's junk.
stock intake pipe will work fine.
I think he will also need to remove the screen out of the stock mass air.(you need to check with others who have done this before)
short throw shifter (BANG FOR THE BUCK)
get gears 4.30's (BANG FOR THE BUCK)
keep the off road pipe (BANG FOR THE BUCK)
full length subframe connectors (BANG FOR THE BUCK)
get a short runner intake with IMRC Deletes and a tune. (This will be you main power source) (BANG FOR THE BUCK)
get some lower control arms
get some racey looking rims and tires.
done!

Last edited:

mpe331lx

Mine's stock too
Established Member
For optimum performance I'd go with atleast 4.30 gears. If he rarely drives the car on the highway (like only when going to the track) I'd go with 4.56s:rockon:

Thanks guys:rockon:
He was thinking of getting some gears also.
He wanted to go with 373's.
He was thinking of getting 410's but i keep hearing 430's are the way to go?
Aren't 410's and 430's bad for a Daily driver?Isn't the gear ratio to high:shrug:

These cars lack low end torque and need a steep gear to perform well. 3.73s are a complete wast of time. Around town gas milage will not suffer (it is usually better) with 4.30s and it will be nasty from a dig with a set of sticky tires.

Even on the highway it's not THAT bad if he just stays at the speed limit.

Longtubes help a 96-98 Cobra's performance SIGNIFICANTLY! How many low 12, high 11 second N/A Cobras do you know of that do it on stock manifolds or shorty headers (a complete waste of money)? Too many people look at peak numbers and think that is all there is to a performance part. Headers can pick up quite a bit more hp than 13 through out the rpm range.

An o3-04 Cobra with 4.10s is not even a close comparison. IMO 4.10s ARE too much gear for an 03/04 with 26" tires. They have an abundance of low end torque and no not need a steep gear to keep them in thier rpm range.
Another misconception is that a car with a 6 speed will cruise at a much lower RPM. The T45 5th gear (.67) is almost identical to the t56's 6th gear (.62)
The 6 speeds 5th gear (.80) is less overdriven and adds an extra ear inbetween 4th (1:1) and what would be 5th (.6x).

first off longtubes do not cost 200 bucks otherwise that be a great deal, you are looking at around 500 or so for BBK for longtubes and midpype, and more for hookers etc. They are a good mod as they provide more than just 13 rwhp, and will increase it all accross the powerband not just at the peak power, they will also increase your torgue output and flatten out the entiore powerbands curve. The more mods you have the more you will benifit from longtubes etc.

Also 3:73's will not give you enough umph, these cars come with a 3:27 and can barely get out the hole. Listen to everyone on the boards, many have swapped in 3:73s then 4:10's and then 4:30's etc.

The reason your bros 4:10s are too much on the highway is because of his supercharger and the gearing in his t-56, its too much gear for the car and will cause it to spin too much esp in first gear. 03-04's are completely different than the 96-98 you cannot compare them.

EXACTLY

IMO. If you friend want some power and does not want to be constantly working and planning his next mods for the next 5 years he should just get a kenny bell blower and slap it on and be done. he will be alot happier in the end. By the time you done screwing around with headers and all the rest of the nonsense you will have some $$$$ in the car and it will be slow and have no low end TQ. Don't get me wrong I love my NA beast but when starting from scratch and not having a ton of knowledge about these cars and being on a budget means he will not want to do all the mods. The KB blower will make him smile on the street.

If he does go the long haul (here is the minimum short list)
get rid of the BBK intake pipe it's junk.
stock intake pipe will work fine.
I think he will also need to remove the screen out of the stock mass air.(you need to check with others who have done this before)
short throw shifter (BANG FOR THE BUCK)
get gears 4.30's (BANG FOR THE BUCK)
keep the off road pipe (BANG FOR THE BUCK)
full length subframe connectors (BANG FOR THE BUCK)
get a short runner intake with IMRC Deletes and a tune. (This will be you main power source) (BANG FOR THE BUCK)
get some lower control arms
get some racey looking rims and tires.
done!

I agree with everything except the KB. IMO I would not put a non
intercooled KB on anything. If he can afford to go forced induction, I D1sc would be m y first choice on a 96-98. Keep the boost level low for an easy 400-450rwhp. When he is ready to step up the program and build the bottom end, a D1sc has enogh airflow to support 600rwhp with the right supporting mods. I do not see a 1.7 or 2.1 non intercooled KB doing that (atleat not safely). If one HAS to have a KB on a 96-98, swap to C heads or 03/04s and get an intercooled kit designed for the newer cars.

BMF42

Drive it like u STOLE IT
Established Member
i think 4:10s is too much well IMO. i would do 3;73's and add a 125 shot. btw longtube IMO dont do shit for how much their worth... 200 for LT's+500 for install and you only get like 13 wrhp, no thank you!

:lol1::poke:

4.10's are not too much. If I could I would put 4.30's in my 96. I have 4.10's in both of my cars, and do a bit of driving a few days (2 hours round trip)out of the week.

Don't listen to who ever ^^said to put 3.73's in your friends car. I think his excuse was to have room for a shot of nitrous. My 96 is a nitrous car and I wish I had 4.30's. He'll have plenty of room for nitrous.

Good Luck!:banana:

Users who are viewing this thread