96-98 Cobra or 99-02 Cobra

2000wrx

Established Member
I would like to get into a Cobra this fall or next spring. I am wondering which to get into though. I like the look of both, though I find myself leaning more toward the new edge now.

I wondered if people here could offer some pros and cons to the two variations. I plan to superchage either version that I get, and have it be a fun driver that can take me and my family cruising and to car events.

Any insight you can offer is appreciated

Thanks!!

Gringo185

2nd Civ Div
Established Member
I'm an SN-95 (96-98) guy myself. But as far as the New Edge goes, I've heard the 01 was better than the 99 (there weren't 00 or 02 Cobras, except for the 00R). I'm sure someone else will chime in with more info.

Traveler

Two-time SVT Cobra guy
Established Member
The differences between the 99 and 01 are mainly superficial, except in terms of seat comfort. The 2001 model has better seats. There was no 00 Cobra (except for the 'R' raced prepped model) and no 02 Cobra.

The differences between the 96-98 model and the 99/01 model, is primarily the exterior styling and the rear suspension of the 99/01s. The 99/01s have the independent rear suspension and its design can cause some compromise in launching at the race track, especially with increased aftermarket power. For handling feel and road comfort, its superior to the solid rear of the 96-98. For the drag strip, the solid rear is more favorable. I had a 01 for 4 years and only suffered wheel hop one time under hard acceleration on the street. It never went to the drag strip while I had it.

There are other differences for sure. The 99/01 generally has been said to possess what feels like a broader range of power, but not in large amount. Basically, the other differences are mostly minor. It comes down to what you feel is the better-looking car and then intentions of how you plan to use the car. On a broader scope, the 99/01 is the slightly superior car unless the IRS suspension is undesirable for whatever reason and the styling of the 96-98 is more impressive.

Last edited:

cobra4v

Hooked On SVT
Established Member
I have both the 98 and and 99 cobra...both I like alot. You can't go wrong with either one. The SN 95 are more affordable.

Traveler

Two-time SVT Cobra guy
Established Member
Truthfully, in retrospect, I really loved my 01 Cobra. In fact, I think I saw it the other day and it really pained me to have to see it. That said, however, I'd probably get a 96-98 if I were buying used today. I had a 95 Cobra that had some bolt-ons and it was pretty quick. I always liked the body, but when the new ones came out, it was the thing to have. I still like them too, but the styling of the 96-98 while not perfect, was very attractive.

2000wrx

Established Member
I would love to get an 03-04, but I just can't swing that... I have always liked the 96-98 look and wingless IMO is just perty ;)

I like the cost of the 96-98 cars because it will allow me more $$ for modding right away.

The look of the edge cars is growing fast on me, and I also kinda like the idea of the IRS, though it can be a concern as power increases. Nothing more $$ wont fix though :D

All in all it sound like any Cobra is going to be a great and fun car for me and my boys... (wife too;).

Thanks for the help guys!!

PS: Great Sig Traveler, love the passages you have there... I have this on my wall at work Colossian 3:23-24

Last edited:

Traveler

Two-time SVT Cobra guy
Established Member
Thanks. Proverbs 3:5,6 gave me spiritual strengthening during a trying time several years ago. I think its a rewarding statement of how valuable trust in God truly is. Colossians 1:15-23 is a great statement on the supremacy of Christ.

Colossians 3:23-24 is a wonderful message for daily living and something to reflect upon every day. I'm going to highlight those verses.

Last edited:

SickBlackMach

Throttling back
Established Member
2000wrx said:
I would love to get an 03-04, but I just can't swing that... I have always liked the 96-98 look and wingless IMO is just perty ;)

I like the cost of the 96-98 cars because it will allow me more $$ for modding right away.

The look of the edge cars is growing fast on me, and I also kinda like the idea of the IRS, though it can be a concern as power increases. Nothing more $$ wont fix though :D
It sounds like you want a 96-98 then! If the IRS is something you really want, there are guys selling 03/04 IRS's all the time.

svtrookie

Established Member
I love 96-98 Cobras...You can find a real nice one for a good price. I was thinking about buying one for a daily driver!

lizardbreath

Banned
If you want to save money look for a built 96-98 and pay the price it would cost to get a stock new edge with like 80-90 more HP than the new edge. If you are going for looks however the new edge is superior....and true blue cobras are the fastest they have special motors in them that make them superior to the rest.

NinetySixSVT

PacoTaco Defeater
Established Member
Another reason for chiming in for 96-98 is weight. I'm not totally sure about the weight on the 99/01's but the 96-98 Cobra has the best block out of any Mustang SVT hands down. If memory serves right I think some 99's have the Teksid block? Not totally sure on that besides I know there's a way to find out.

Since it's apparent you will be modding, doing some minor weight reductions (alum driveshaft, flywheel, etc) will enable you to have a Cobra weighing 3300 pounds with you in the car very easily. The entire car weighs 33xx out of the box.

The block is also incredibly strong being able to take north of 800 rwhp without concern. For it's strength and weight it's a very attractive platform.

Basically right now the 96-98 Cobra is an amazing deal. The price is right, it looks sexy (best looking of the svt's IMHO), is light(er), and can handle all kinds of additional power.

But if you are going for large amounts of power you're need to change out the rods & pistons. They are junk.

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
NinetySixSVT said:
Another reason for chiming in for 96-98 is weight. I'm not totally sure about the weight on the 99/01's but the 96-98 Cobra has the best block out of any Mustang SVT hands down. If memory serves right I think some 99's have the Teksid block? Not totally sure on that besides I know there's a way to find out.

All 96-98 Cobras came with the Teksid Blocks
All 99s Cobras came with the Teksid Blocks
A good number of 01s came with the Teksid Blocks

How do you tell them apart???
By looking at the pattern on the block Square Grid means Teksid, Diamond means WAP

Teksid
attachment.php

WAP
attachment.php

Users who are viewing this thread