95R Fibreglass hood issue

UKCobra

Established Member
I attended the Ford UK 60th Birthday event yesterday, and its the first time the 95R has been on the road for 4 years, and despite washing it twice, I spotted an issue when I got back with the fibreglass hood that cleaning products are not having any impact.

It's hard to actually take a good photo of the issue, but I can only describe it as as micro blisters.
The hood is the original. I have owned the car for 22 years, it has 12,000 miles, and I have not used any new cleaning products I have not used before on other cars.

Polishing, or special car paintwork cleaning is not making any difference.

What I have is what looks like sand under the clearcoat, so when you run your hand over it, you can feel the bumps.

I dont recall seeing this before last night.

Anyone else experienced this ? Any solutions ? Or is it time to get is treated and re-painted ?
Thanks
Mark

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member
Hi Mark,

Good hearing from you. I've never heard of a 95R having any issues. Maybe take it to a paint shop and let them give you an opinion on what it is and corrective measures.

Tom

specracer

SVTOA MCA
Premium Member
I have not heard of hood issues either (it is a WELL known issue with a 2000R, however ours doesn't have any). I might look at it differently, depending on how bad it is. I'd consider leaving it, that is if the car is 100% original (vs has had some paint work already). Car is almost 30 years old, and is part of the character of the car. I remember one of our 95R's being judged, and was nicked for the painted seam sealer being yellowed in the area under the trunk (drain valley). The judge said I could paint it and not alter its "original" condition. For a second, I considered it, but then said, no way, this is how the car is ageing, and it will stay as it is.

Users who are viewing this thread