95R and A/C

boogie

Established Member
I have a 'what if' question. I am looking at a 95R and have always wanted one.

I would prefer not to have to trailer this thing around anytime I want to go events. I can deal with the no radio and minimal insulation, but I'm not sure I will be able to handle the heat and humidity in the summer (on those 7-8 hour long trips).

Does anyone know if A/C can be retrofitted in these cars? Not my first option, but something I might consider vs. selling it if the A/C thing becomes an issue.

Please no :burn: . I understand that this flies in the face of what the cars were made for, but something I would interested in to hear if it has been done before.

93SVTCobra

Established Member
I met a guy at the Nashville, TN MCA National show who retrofited AC on his 95 R so it can be done. His car was also featured in MMFF or 5.0 about 3 years ago as well. I don't see why it couldn't be done as there has to be some 5.8L A/C kits out there for other applications which could be modified slightly to make them work.

Cobra R Man

IMSA RACE CAR
Established Member
I saw one at a Fun Ford Weekend at Atlanta about 4yrs ago with air, radio, alarm, etc. The guy bought one to drive. He was a Delta Airline pilot and it was his only car. Can't blame him for wanting speed and comfort. At least he DROVE IT.

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member
Mark,

You are talking about Hector Brignoni, an SCOA member. He drove the car from CO which is where he lives. He also has a very sweet teal 93.

The route he took was contacting Saleen and getting an A/C kit that would have been installed on a 351 Saleen. He did this back in 96-7 so the parts were still readily available. I am sure he paid a pretty penny for it. He also put a stereo in the car since all of the wiring was already there for a radio. He drives the car quite a bit for events.

94 Cobra R

Same Ol Same Ol
Established Member
My 94 Cobra w/95 R drivetrain has A/C....I believe you can use all of the stock GT/Cobra Brackets for the A/C setup and the hoses and compressor too. You need to get the dash controls, harnesses and vacuum tubing. I think the computer may need to be adjusted, too. Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread