'95 R Lack of Power

RJY

Established Member
Interesting thing happened to me at my last open track event with the '95, and on the way home.

At WOT in 3rd and 4th gear, I lost power approaching 3k rpm. It felt like the car ran out of breath. The engine didn't quit. When I lifted to about 3/4 throttle position, the car picked up steam again and would motor on. Anything past 3/4, the car would start to hiccup, not bad, but it was like a slight miss and would not have any power. And the tach needle would "jump" versus moving smoothly.

Any one run in to this situation?

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
RJY said:
Interesting thing happened to me at my last open track event with the '95, and on the way home.

At WOT in 3rd and 4th gear, I lost power approaching 3k rpm. It felt like the car ran out of breath. The engine didn't quit. When I lifted to about 3/4 throttle position, the car picked up steam again and would motor on. Anything past 3/4, the car would start to hiccup, not bad, but it was like a slight miss and would not have any power. And the tach needle would "jump" versus moving smoothly.

Any one run in to this situation?

Brian had this with his car. I think it ended up being a fuel delivery issue? Fuel pick-up/fuel pump related.

Hopefully he will chime in here to assist!

:thumbsup: :coolman: :beer:

93SVTCobra

Established Member
check your fuel filter to see if it is full of pieces of foam. If it's the original bladder it's probably time to change. I just did mine and it came out in big clumps. I could fill the filter in 2 sessions easy.

If you need a price on foam send me a PM.

RJY

Established Member
At first, I thought it was happening when coming out of a turn going up the banking, so maybe I wasn't getting any fuel.

But, going home, on the highway, in a straight line, on level road, it still happened. Crazy.

Cobra-R

Established Member
ac427cobra said:
Brian had this with his car. I think it ended up being a fuel delivery issue? Fuel pick-up/fuel pump related.

Hopefully he will chime in here to assist!

:thumbsup: :coolman: :beer:

Bruce is exactly right. Both Lew and I had the problem, it was foam from the fuel cell plugging up the screen going into the fuel pump. The stuff made it through the sock filter in the tank and plugged up the screen in the pump it's self. Just about pulled my hair out finding this, hope it helps you.

Brian

Cobra R Man

IMSA RACE CAR
Established Member
Loss of power......

Had it happen, read the article, know the answer.

The air inlet hose between the filter and the trottle body gets very soft from the engine bay heat and outside air, and collapse from suction. It is smooth instead of ribbed, and doesn't hold it's shape as well.

I pulled my fuel cell, replaced the filter, etc. Finally I put a '95 GT air inlet hose and filter assembly on. Problem solved.

Read the article from MMFF mag. Sept. '00, when Greg Biffle talks of the same sinario, while testing all 3 year models, Rgang. Page 57, caption under the '95 picture.

SORRY, tried to edit with smilies, ended up a double post. Please Mod, delete this one.
Thanks, Bruce.

Last edited:

Cobra R Man

IMSA RACE CAR
Established Member
Loss of power......

Had it happen, read the article, know the answer. :idea:

The air inlet hose between the filter and the trottle body gets very soft from the engine bay heat and outside air, and collapse from suction. It is smooth instead of ribbed, and doesn't hold it's shape as well.

I pulled my fuel cell, replaced the filter, etc. Finally I put a '95 GT air inlet hose and filter assembly on. Problem solved. :shrug: :rockon:

Read the article from MMFF mag. Sept. '00, when Greg Biffle talks of the same sinario, while testing all 3 year models, Rgang. Page 57, caption under the '95 picture.:read:

"R"s Rock
Gene Boc.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread