'95 "R" Fuel tank replacement

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member
Guys, so the depth issue you are discussing. Is this going to cause a pick-up issue with the sock being too close to the tank?

Also, what is his website?

Tom

bret a ewing

Established Member
Tom,

If you send him your pump assembly before he builds the tank you can be sure of a custom fit. His website is on the prior pages of this thread.

Best, Bret.

alexandros

Established Member
I need a bladder for my 95R tank. Does anyone know where I can get one cheap? The prices look a little out of hand.

wheelhopper

Established Member
This thread is avoid the entire bladder issue. I just got hit with about $10K in expenses I was not expecting, after a month or so of building the savings back up I am ordering one of the aluminum tanks mentioned in this thread.

Fuel Safe made the R cell, get in touch with them. I think they are the only ones that have the bladders.

brianz426

Established Member
Bret,
Thanks for sending my original R tank parts, got them last week.

I hope you guys weathered the storm o.k.

BZ

bret a ewing

Established Member
Your welcome Brian. No permanent damage from the storm. Give me a buzz if you get up this way, we will do the Tim, Mark and my house tour, plan on spending the day............:):)

Best, Bret.

Lucky45

Established Member
I saw where it was mentioned that the foam had been reused from tank to tank, but I haven't seen anyone mention anything about it having baffles or how the components were sealed on the new tank. New gasket kit or make your own or..... thanks

bret a ewing

Established Member
There is a sump area for the pump. I reused all the gaskets and rings from my old tank. Call Glenn for more info.
Best, Bret.

n2fords2003

Established Member
You can but don't have to or need to reuse the foam. I did because i want to possibly play with my car on the track. The pump was a tight fit on mine and it actually sets on the bottom. The sock sets on the bottom and its just fine.

People, go to the small amount of extra trouble and $100 and have ur tank powder coated. It will hold up far better and after all that trouble you don't want to pull that tank back out years later because your rattle can paint job looks bad

gixxer1

Established Member
I installed the new tank this weekend after having it powder coated, thank you Glenn's performance. It worked out perfectly!

wheelhopper

Established Member
I been keeping this in the back of my mind. I need to get one of these tanks while they are still willing to make them.

1995COBRA-R

20 Year Member
Established Member
Premium Member

We have a couple of threads based on the factory fuel cell issue. My opinion: :-D

1) If you are tracking a Cobra R, you need to replace the bladder. It just makes sense to be safe.

2) If you do not have plans to track a Cobra R (my other race car is a black hole for money :-D ), you can go to a nice used 1994-1995 stock tank (~$100). It keeps it on the road and confuses people. ;-)

You can keep the stock fuel cell (and another one that Gary gave me---although he wrecked this car at Savannah--he didn't bend it much). It's not like Cobra R values are moving up in value.

Sorry no pictures (I exceeded my photobucket bandwidth limit on day one of their new rules).

If I had more storage for just one more car (I don't), it would be another 1995 Cobra R (dripping or not).

wheelhopper

Established Member
I don't race my '95R and don't plan to. I currently have a standard Cobra tank in the car and it works fine. My only gripe is the fuel tank is one of the only exterior visible signs that makes people take a second look at the car. The aluminum replica fits my needs perfectly.

specracer

SVTOA MCA
Premium Member
+1 ill never track this car, so a reg tank would work buuut... but it would drive me crazy to not see the correct look from the back.

1995COBRA-R

20 Year Member
Established Member
Premium Member
I don't race my '95R and don't plan to. I currently have a standard Cobra tank in the car and it works fine.

+1 ill never track this car, so a reg tank would work buuut... but it would drive me crazy to not see the correct look from the back.

No problem.

It doesn't bother me one bit to have a Cobra R with a non-stock tank. None of my other cars are stock. :-D

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member
I don't race my '95R and don't plan to. I currently have a standard Cobra tank in the car and it works fine. My only gripe is the fuel tank is one of the only exterior visible signs that makes people take a second look at the car. The aluminum replica fits my needs perfectly.

+1.

Tom

Users who are viewing this thread