95 R Fuel Cell leaking! Options, Ideas, Help?

hollant

Stuck In First Gear
Established Member
Well, my fuel cell finally started leaking. I was told this would happen. Unfortunately it has happened just before the summer season of track days and car shows!

So what have you guys done about this? Is Fuel Safe the only supplier? Has anybody put a regular fuel tank in their R? Are there other options?

Any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks, Troy

hollant

Stuck In First Gear
Established Member
Also, I just filled the darn thing up! I am not able to siphon the fuel out, I thought I could detatch the fuel line after the filter and turn the key on so the fuel pump could pump it empty, but the pump only pumps when the engine is being cranked. Do I just have to drive it empty?

hollant

Stuck In First Gear
Established Member
It is leaking on the filler neck side. I have taken two gallons out of it. Also, at my last track event, the smell of raw fuel was very strong in the car after I stopped at the end of the day. Another symptom is that I only got 190 miles out of the tank of gas.

r82of250

Established Member
Drain your cell (or just drop it and then drain) and pull out the foam and then the bladder. Most likely the bladder coating has deteriorated. I went thru this about 18 months ago. Think I bought mine direct from Fuel Safe. Easy but expensive fix. And necessary, says Mr Obvious!

Doc, I've read mention of the fuel cell "mod". What is it?

Dean

1995COBRA-R

20 Year Member
Established Member
Premium Member
race cars, boats and airplanes are money pits...

r82of250 said:
Doc, I've read mention of the fuel cell "mod". What is it?
I don't have it but some others do and would probably explain it better. It is a kit that can fix the leak when you over fill the cell. If gas slightly backs up into the filler neck; it will leak. I just don't fill mine up (~ a gallon short of full).

I'm not so sure he has a bad bladder. I think he may just have over filled it.

I've had a bad bladder in my '65. Some metal from the original build of the car was left in the metal bladder container. After several years, the metal wore into the bladder and eventually punctured it. It started leaking a little. Nothing bad; just a little drops of 113 octane dripping out of the bottom of the metal container. I bought a new bladder from Fuel Safe and dropped it in (after cleaning out the metal chips).

I'd say if his leak is at the filler neck; it's just over filled. If it is leaking in (and out of) the metal box, his bladder needs replacing. If you can still smell/see gas when the tank is less than empty, you got a bad bladder.

Most guys think that a full cell ages better than a dry/empty one. I keep all of mine mostly full during storage.

Others have had the problem of getting all the gas out of the tank. The original IMSA racers could never use all 20 gallons without mods. I think they made mods to the fuel pick-up(s) (my '65 has two; one in each side of the bladder).

I'd say the useful life of the cell in all of the 93/95 cars is over. I'm just too cheap to change mine yet. I would change it if I raced it (just as a safety precaution).

r82of250

Established Member
"I'd say if his leak is at the filler neck"

On the other hand, he says the fuel odor was in the car after the track event, before filling the tank.

When mine went bad, there was a very slow drip of fuel thru a small (water drain?) hole in the bottom of the cell. When I pulled the bladder I couldn't believe it held any gas from the condition it was in. The urethane coating of the bladder had dried and had cracks over the entire surface of the bladder.

My fuel pickup seems to be standard and I've never had a fuel problem. Altho many have.

So I wonder what a new bladder w/foam costs now adays? Mark?

Dean

1995COBRA-R

20 Year Member
Established Member
Premium Member
r82of250 said:
On the other hand, he says the fuel odor was in the car after the track event, before filling the tank.

When mine went bad, there was a very slow drip of fuel thru a small (water drain?) hole in the bottom of the cell.

Yea, I didn't understand that smell either. I can't see how a fuel cell leak could cause a smell in the interior?? :shrug:

My fuel cell has the hole also. I always thought it was to drain the gas if it had a leak :-D . I guess it could also be there to drain any condensation that may occur inside the metal tank.

P/S If it has tires or wears lipstick, it's gonna cost you money :thumbsup:

NJ2000R

Certified FORD Fanatic!
Established Member
I should probably be looking at prices too....any chance of a group purchase? with the 95R's being 10 years old, they are probably ALL in need of replacement, as they are most likely all broken down, as they are past their life expectancy....

presvt

Established Member
Mine had a split gasket where the filler tube went into the tank. If that is the case, you can buy a replacement FORD gasket or replace it with a solid piece direct from FuelSafe.

Users who are viewing this thread