95 Cobra / Temp gauge?

04MC

Established Member
Hi guys .. I replaced 2 sensors for the radiator and my temp gauge sometimes goes a little above the middle. Is this normal for 5.0s? Just want to make sure nothing is wrong with the car/temp.

FX4 SAPPER

Established Member
mine usually runs between the n and o in normal lol i need an actual temp gauge . 5.0s run hot as it is so i wouldnt worry about it unless it gets any higher

Dekorum

Established Member
Mine used to run between the N and the O also. I always thought it was a little cold for a 5.0, which usually run hot. That was on my stock radiator though.. Once I got an aluminum radiator and replaced my coolant temp sensor (by the lower intake) it started reading between the R and M. I'm used to the gauge being above halfway now. I think thats normal.

94CobraPace

Established Member
Pretty much normal. With stock t stat, radiator & when the fan comes on, the temp will get up there to around 210, around the M on the stock gauge.

04MC

Established Member
Thanks guys. I'll double check the letters tomorrow, so I have a better reference ... hopefully everything is ok as I want to make sure the engine is good before doing anything else to it.

Midnight_Cobra

It's an Atomic Serpent!
Established Member
I just put a aftermarket water temp gauge and I'm around 210 on a hot day and around 195-200 on a cool night.

Dano

"Book 'em Dano"
Established Member
04MC

T, you can't really rely on the "letters" for a definate and accurate temperature reading. They just massage your comfort zone, and make you feel good, or bad.

If you want to know the temperature, you'll have to go with an aftermarket gage. It's an easy install, once you decide where to mount it.

raven69david

Blown & Cammed
Established Member
As already stated, don't rely on the letters at all. Get yourself a good aftermarket oil/temp gauge. I went with a Lunar boost/temp gauge from Autometer and that thing was dead on accurate. If you want to be sure about your temp, go aftermarket. The stock gauges are crap.

(yes, i'm still around guys):)

Dano

"Book 'em Dano"
Established Member
Hi, David ... been a long time. Good to see you're still with us. For some reason, I thought you had sold the Cobra - guess not. See you later.

04MC

Established Member
Thanks. Well the car is in Brasil, so getting the stuff is not as easy unfortunately, so I started by replacing the sensor, coolant flush etc ... I drove the car more and noticed with the A/C on cold it seems to read lower and the needle stays lower now without the A/C I already saw it hitting the end of the M letter ... I guess I'll have to get some gauges ... will any of the handheld tuners give me an accurate temp reading?

Slow95Cobra

Certified in SVT by Ford
Established Member
the reason its running lower with the AC on is because the cooling fan runs constant when you have on the AC.

04MC

Established Member
Ya I thought about that. Makes sense. Car is 95 16k miles, so good for the car and for the a/c to run it all the time ... now if I could only figure out where the damn noise from the hear is coming from ...

Slow95Cobra

Certified in SVT by Ford
Established Member
Ya I thought about that. Makes sense. Car is 95 16k miles, so good for the car and for the a/c to run it all the time ... now if I could only figure out where the damn noise from the hear is coming from ...

the what? lol

Users who are viewing this thread