95 Cobra R Fuel Tank issues - Built wrong ?

UKCobra

Established Member
My car is finally in the workshop getting the fuel tank replaced and my mechanic has found a major issue.

None of the holes to accommodate the sender or pump are correct.
All the holes on the top are oversized and not tapped.
The fuel filler holes on the side of the tank are correct.
The sender bolts are 1/4 inch, the ones drilled are 5/16 inch and not tapped.

As I am in the UK, and have been waiting for my Mustang Restorer and shipper to have space in the workshop. I have only one option but to get the tank worked upon here.
Just wanted to check if anyone else had any similar issues.
I will speak to Glenn tonight to see if he is aware, and to let him know of my findings.

JeremyBoc

Established Member
It's been a couple years sine I did mine, but I think I just removed the threaded part from the bladder and put it on the backside with custom made gasket in between. I don't believe the holes were threaded on mine either.

UKCobra

Established Member
It's been a couple years sine I did mine, but I think I just removed the threaded part from the bladder and put it on the backside with custom made gasket in between. I don't believe the holes were threaded on mine either.

Were they the right size to use the same bolts ?

JeremyBoc

Established Member
Yea, I removed the female strip from the bladder and put it on the inside of the tank. Used the original strip from the bladder and the original bolts.

specracer

SVTOA MCA
Premium Member
YES, the inner ring from inside the bladder is reused. I also used some permatex fuel resistant sealant as an extra seal.

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member
Same as mine. I used cork gasket but am having a hell of a time getting the fuel fill flange to seal.

Specracer, what product did you use to get yours to seal? I used a gray permatex product and it didn't fully dry.

Tom

Users who are viewing this thread