95 Cobra R fuel pump lph question

95R98GT93GT

Hey guys,

Need help determining what lph fuel pump is on my R? I cant get a definite answer from Ford or resto parts places. Ive heard 190 and 255???

Also having a hard time get the R to fire up? It seems to have progressively gotten worse over time. 3 months ago it use to take me 3 turns of the key to start it. Now its 1 of 10 times with the 1 time running for 8 seconds and dying??? It feels like to me that the car is starving for gas???

I have done a full tune up, changed the fuel filter, and Im about to install the fabricated fuel cell and take the original one out so I will never have to change the bladder again :rockon:
I also want to change the pump while Im in there in case that may be the problem.

Do you guys have any other idea what a solution might be? (I know Im giving very little info. on what the car is doing). Im going to check the fuel pressure but what could it be besides these repairs? Possibly computer? ?????

Thanks for your help

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member
Fuel pump has been covered before.

Damn, I hate forgetting stuff. I am 99% sure it was a Ford Racing 190.

Fuel, air or spark--only items it can be. Air is easy.

Spark is next easiest. Unplug one of the wires. Get your best friend and have him stick his tongue on the end of the wire and turn the motor over. If he shits his pants you have spark. A safer method is put a screwdriver in the end of the plug wire and hold it close to a ground point. If it arcs across when cranking you have spark.

Last is fuel. As you stated, a little gauge that connects to the fuel rail is one of your best diagnostic friends. You can also crack the Schrader valve and see if you have pressure. Use common sense with fuel.

Very doubtful it is computer.

Tom

wheelhopper

Established Member
Not sure what factory is but a 190lph will provide plenty of flow for even a modified 351.

I had an issue getting my car started at one time. It turned out to be the ignition module. It is a small inexpensive part and easy to replace but easily overlooked. When it first starts to go it can be hit and miss. Eventually you are not going anywhere. On our cars it is mounted I believe on the passenger side inner fender. On my '90 it is attached to the distributor.

Users who are viewing this thread