95 Cobra Engine Surge

GJMCAR98

MOTOROLA MAN
Established Member
Hi Guy's
I usually hang out on the Cobra R forum but I know there are a lot more cars being used on this forum and I need some help. I have a 95 Cobra R with 7 thousand miles on it that after running a min or two starts surging up and down until it finally just shuts off. You start it right back up and it will hold steady RPM with the pedal anything above 12 or 1300 RPMS. It revs good and runs good up on the top but it just flat will not idle. I replaced the mass air meter and coolent temp switch ( just because I had a new one of each laying around ) but it didn't do a bit of good.Check engine light never comes on.... Anyone have any ideas. Thx Gary

my94pony

addicted
Established Member
its a ticking time bomb you should prob just trade with me!

i would clean the iac valve and if that doesn't work change the tps (throttle position sensor) i'm sure one of those is your problem i had the same thing happen to me recently

GJMCAR98

MOTOROLA MAN
Established Member
What is an iac? I'm a carburator guy and all of this stuff is new to me. ( although I do know what the tps is :) I Can't trade it I've waited 15 years to own one of these things :) Thx Gary

my94pony

addicted
Established Member
lol i know you can't trade it i love the 95 cobra r and congrats on owning one most of us can only dream!

iac = idle air control, if you post a pic of your engine or any 95 engine i'll point it out for you

C O 13 R A

Crazy Arms
Established Member
Definitely check the TPS, it's known to cause such idle issues, along with the IAC valve solenoid. One word of advice, if you are going to replace them, make sure you get ORIGINAL MOTORCRAFT parts. I had the same issue years ago in a 94GT. I replaced them with Autozombie parts and major malfunction, never cured the problem. Figured out the "new" parts were way out of spec....I replaced them with Ford Parts and fixed the idle issues. Good luck.

Edit:
A few more things to look at...

Are you running a CAI, or aftermarket MAF? Also, clean your MAF sensor and check your PCV valve to make sure it's functioning and IN PLACE!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread