95 Cobra build suggestions

DRRummel

370HSSV
Established Member
I am going to most likely tear my engine down and rebuild it.

It is almost (if not completely) stock. Now I have heard the 94/95 Mustangs were persnickety about mods and the Cobra computers were even worse.

But I will have the engine torn down. So with keeping the Cobra intake, and ECU, what can I do to upgrade and still keep it running.
Will a CR increase cause a problem?
Will a different cam work much better then the stock?
Swap heads for a set of AFR 185? (this also forces a piston swap because of valve size)

I am not looking to swap a A9L and install a MSD. Not a stroker either, I hear it causes the computer to barf.

I understand the FOXs are so much easier to mod...

Slow95Cobra

Certified in SVT by Ford
Established Member
get it tuned properly, and anything can work.. but the factory PCM tune can throw the car for a loop with a bigger cam... etc.

riored94cobra

Established Member
get it tuned properly, and anything can work.. but the factory PCM tune can throw the car for a loop with a bigger cam... etc.

+1

If you get proper tuning equipment, you can do anything. I recommend SCT software or if you really want to know how your pcm works, use Tweecer software.

Almost any engine mods, h/c/i etc., will through the factory pcm tune out of wack.

My cobra's is still running strong with my mods and the factory tune, but i haven't tore into the engine yet.

Last year i was running a little lean and my problem turned out to be a dirty maf sensor from my oiled k&n filter. Cleaned it up and she runs perfectly.

Tell us more about your car, what the car is going to be used for, and what you want with the car.

Last edited:

cobraman1024

Waiting to be Blown....
Established Member
+1

If you get proper tuning equipment, you can do anything. I recommend SCT software or if you really want to know how your pcm works, use Tweecer software.

Almost any engine mods, h/c/i etc., will through the factory pcm tune out of wack.

My cobra's is still running strong with my mods and the factory tune, but i haven't tore into the engine yet.

Last year i was running a little lean and my problem turned out to be a dirty maf sensor from my oiled k&n filter. Cleaned it up and she runs perfectly.

Tell us more about your car, what the car is going to be used for, and what you want with the car.

Your Cobra must be some sort of factory-freak or something. even with your mods, you should only be putting down about 10hp and 10lb/tq. less than what your sig claims.
OP, check my sig and I know you didn't want to do the A9L swap but there are benefits to be had.

EastCoast5.0

Established Member
I am going to most likely tear my engine down and rebuild it.

It is almost (if not completely) stock. Now I have heard the 94/95 Mustangs were persnickety about mods and the Cobra computers were even worse.

But I will have the engine torn down. So with keeping the Cobra intake, and ECU, what can I do to upgrade and still keep it running.
Will a CR increase cause a problem?
Will a different cam work much better then the stock?
Swap heads for a set of AFR 185? (this also forces a piston swap because of valve size)

I am not looking to swap a A9L and install a MSD. Not a stroker either, I hear it causes the computer to barf.

I understand the FOXs are so much easier to mod...
If your doing motor work definitely spend a few extra bucks for a cam. Raising the compression wont hurt anything but just make sure you're running high octane. Also, make sure all the measurements work out with rockers, pushrod length, and cam profile so you don't have piston to valve clearance with whatever pistons you get.

I'm running an Anderson B-21 cam and love it. Stock tune, power is great, sounds sweet, and it is a dependable daily driver.

Also, +1 on what Joe said. riored94cobra, your #'s are very high...

Last edited:

Venom351R

Established Member
You would be better off with AFR 165's on a 302. The 185/205 AFR's are more suited for 351W blocks

speedyhank

Established Member
go wth the trickflow topend kit i have it and love it and wat msd stuff u looking for

cobraman1024

Waiting to be Blown....
Established Member
Also, +1 on what Joe said. riored94cobra, your #'s are very high...

Yo, whats up Alex?? how's the GT doing?? I started the road-trip portion of my new job so I'm "touring" all of the FAA sites in the midwest right now-----I've been in Texas the last few weeks and will be headed to Oklahoma, Colorado, New Mexico and Kansas up to the end of the year. I only make it back home to Orlando every other weekend so I've got a huge stockpile of parts waiting to be installed. :beer:

EastCoast5.0

Established Member
Yo, whats up Alex?? how's the GT doing?? I started the road-trip portion of my new job so I'm "touring" all of the FAA sites in the midwest right now-----I've been in Texas the last few weeks and will be headed to Oklahoma, Colorado, New Mexico and Kansas up to the end of the year. I only make it back home to Orlando every other weekend so I've got a huge stockpile of parts waiting to be installed. :beer:
The car's doing good...sitting in the garage waiting for spring like every other car in New England lol.:bash: Sounds like you're having a good time traveling, that's awesome, enjoy it. :rockon:

riored94cobra

Established Member
a soon as i find the dyno sheet, i'll post it up.

dyno was a sae dynojet. it was like 50 degrees outside, and my afr also went a little lean at 13.7:1 on a freak pass creating more power.

i consistantly put 255rwhp all day when my afr is consistant at 13.0:1.

Venom351R

Established Member
The car's doing good...sitting in the garage waiting for spring like every other car in New England lol.:bash: Sounds like you're having a good time traveling, that's awesome, enjoy it. :rockon:

Where in N.H are you? Do you go to epping during the summer?

EastCoast5.0

Established Member
Where in N.H are you? Do you go to epping during the summer?
Southern, about 15 mins from NED. I am up there a lot, but don't run the car until late fall cause I drive it everyday to work so I can't afford break anything. :) Hope to see ya there in the spring!

Venom351R

Established Member
Your Cobra must be some sort of factory-freak or something. even with your mods, you should only be putting down about 10hp and 10lb/tq. less than what your sig claims. .

Altitude and air temp play a roll in dyno numbers. If he went to another dyno 2 hrs way it could register 10 HP and 10 FTlbs lower.

Southern, about 15 mins from NED. I am up there a lot, but don't run the car until late fall cause I drive it everyday to work so I can't afford break anything. :) Hope to see ya there in the spring!

I'll be down there a lot this year providing I dont blow up the transmission or rear end on the slicks

Last edited:

DRRummel

370HSSV
Established Member
I am on the road again.

Thanks for the advice.

I had the engine tanked to clean out all the old gasket particles that were blown in to the motor and pushed though the oil passages.

The crank, cam, and cylinders all mic’ed within standard specs. So I installed standard size rings and bearings. The driver side head was a little warped, so I had .009 take off of them to get it straight again. The motor runs strong, but I won’t run it past 3K until I get a 1,000 miles on the motor. The idle is rock solid at 1050 RPM once I reset the base idle/IAC. I want to dial that down to 650 – 750 if I can.

I had the car inspected on Friday and I have about 170 miles on it so far.

DRRummel

370HSSV
Established Member
so no plans to build it as of now just staying stock motor?

I had two cars torn apart. My 87 has been apart for almost two years. I was eager to get something running, so the 95 Cobra went together stock. Now I have a DD while I play with the 87 TTop car. Once the TTop car runs, I might come back to the 1995 and change things up.

Users who are viewing this thread