95 cobra 347 stroker questions.

Majin_might

I have a friend who is looking to get input from people who have experience with the 302 stroked.

The car in question is a 95 cobra with the 302 stroked to a 347. It has the trick flow upper kit ( heads & intake manifold) bbk headers, h pipe, MSD Coil and a few more upgrades that are suspension. The built motor has 13k miles and the seller says it was built and by RED ( he bought it from the original builder and didn't drive it )

His question to me is what to expect as for as reliability, upcoming issues, known issues and so forth....I'm not familiar with stroker motors. I just know that there is a possibility for oil consumption and cylinder wall issues down the road. Any information is appreciated!

Roush6018

Established Member
the big bore size makes the actual sleeve much thinner than stock. this means the metal will be weaker because its thin. it will eventually wear out and the pistons will have some play in the bore. the 302 is popular , if you are planning to have something reliable, you should start with an aftermarket 5.0L block. Stroker motors are known to run hot.

one tip i can offer if he can take the car to a mechanic, have them remove both valve covers, and check the head bolt torque. sometimes on a performance motor the head bolts can come loose leading to a head gasket failure.

my 5.0 had exhaust leak at the header flange, make sure you run a MLS gasket and stage 8 locking header bolts on any 5.0L

5.0 Hatch

Established Member
Go for it and don't look back. A properly built stroker will perform well and be reliable. I've had one in the past and no issues at all until I dropped a valve.

In my opinion, if it went 13k miles and still not showing any issues, it's good

Btw, I picked up 7mph in the 1/4 with no changes other than a 347 in a 93 fox.

01yellercobra

Established Member
Local guy had a 331 in his track fox. He lost count of how many miles were on the track itself. And it was his daily for a bit. Last I heard it's still going with a new owner.

If your friend is concerned get a leak down check done.

Users who are viewing this thread