94 cobra misfire need help

94cobra93

Hello,
I have 1994 cobra that i bought from a friend not running. He couldn't figure it out. When he got the car, it was turbo'd with an explorer motor in it. So i bought the turbo setup from him and modified it to go on my fox and then sold my fox. Then he got fed up and i wound up buying the cobra. So first thing i did was bought an original cobra motor. Swapped it, kept the p heads. to get it running i replaced: the whole wiring harness even to the eec (because the car was a wiring nightmare), replaced the eec, new dizzy, new plug wires, new plugs, new coil, new o2's, it has a new fuel filter, new ccrm, tested the tfi at advanced it tested good 3 times, checked all the fuses, new cap and rotor. Wound up just splicing the black and white wires going to the eec and grounded them to the chassis and she fired right up. Anyway now on to the current problem. it has a misfire at idle, yet a pretty smooth idle, and it falls on its face when floored. I cleaned the iac, mass air, and set the tps voltage. realized afterwards didn't need to do that lol...haha dumb fox guy lol. But with the p heads i tried a lot before pulling the plugs because i had to take the headers off, but i finally did it and they all check out and all wires fire. Think i found all the vacuum leaks. Like i said the car was boosted so there is a boost gauge in the car so i hooked it up and its reading 21inhg in vacuum. Pulled the codes and got canister purge circuit. And i also filled it up with 93 octane and i believe the timing is correct the harmonic balancer marks were pretty faded.
Any input is appreciated!!! I've ran out of things to try.

chromeyellosnak

Established Member
Trying to read this is somewhat of a head ache. But 21 inches of vacuum is great. So you can cross that of the list. Also, tps does have to be checked. It does have to be with in range but doesn't have to be exactly. 99. I just replaced one on a buddies car that was generally running like shit. Checked the tps it was 1.5 at idle. No good. And it woukd not go down so I grabbed a new one that was slotted and replaced it. Another common mistake that's made but I don't think that's your problem because you have good vacuum is the egr vacuum line hooked up wrong. I've seen a vacuum line come from the intake and go directly to the egr this will create a huge vacuum leak and run piss poor. Again I doubt tats the problem with 21 inches vacuum. Also double and triple check your firing order and make sure your using a h.o firing order. There isn't much to the 5.0 f.i set up. There's something not hooked up correctly or a wrong firing order

94cobra93

Trying to read this is somewhat of a head ache. But 21 inches of vacuum is great. So you can cross that of the list. Also, tps does have to be checked. It does have to be with in range but doesn't have to be exactly. 99. I just replaced one on a buddies car that was generally running like shit. Checked the tps it was 1.5 at idle. No good. And it woukd not go down so I grabbed a new one that was slotted and replaced it. Another common mistake that's made but I don't think that's your problem because you have good vacuum is the egr vacuum line hooked up wrong. I've seen a vacuum line come from the intake and go directly to the egr this will create a huge vacuum leak and run piss poor. Again I doubt tats the problem with 21 inches vacuum. Also double and triple check your firing order and make sure your using a h.o firing order. There isn't much to the 5.0 f.i set up. There's something not hooked up correctly or a wrong firing order

I did set the tps voltage correctly and no its the factory egr vacuum hose. and ive checked the firing order probably 5 times in the last 2 weeks lol

Users who are viewing this thread