93R Rear Brake pads

drkhrse

Established Member
Hi Guys,
I need new Rear pads for my 93R, anyone have the part number handy? A cross reference to what they are from would help too.

Thanks,
Jason

jrgoffin

Been around...
Established Member
The Varga calipers in the SN cars have a 38mm piston. The Turbo Coupe/93 Cobra calipers have a 45mm piston.

Last edited:

jimbbski

Established Member
While the T-Bird pads will work on the 93R the 93 Cobra the later SN95 rear brake pads will also fit. Jack Hidley and I had an on line discussion about this some years ago. The pad and caliper form a FWD mil 80's Continental will also work as that's where the rotor came from.
Re: 93 Cobra R questions

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mr Brozynski,

Thanks for the information. It all agrees with my research. The rear pads are D347 (FMSI number). Strangely, the calipers will also fit a D413 pad. This is from a PBR aluminum caliper used on mid 90s Corvettes and Camaros, and also by Baer. The pads look quite a bit different, but they do work.

I forgot that Mark also owns a 93R. Doh!

The information is much appreciated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Brozynski
Sorry that I didn't answer sooner but I was out of town and my computer was having some updates done to it so I was not on the internet.

The rear calipers are Varga from a mid-80's Lincoln Continental, the FWD model. The rear calipers, the mounting bracket that holds the pads, and the rotors are used on the 93R. The rotor is 10.5 inches X 1 inch. I looked at a number of Continentals at the local Pick-N-Pull and confirmed that the brake parts are the same. I was never able to confirm the source of the bracket that bolts to the axel housing however. At one time I did do some research online to determine the pads used. I was able to fit two different number pads but for the life of me I can't remember the pad numbers. I used the Continental pad, the standard 93 Cobra pads will fit but the pads have to be sanded down first to fit. I think I remember also using the pads from a 94-95 Mustang GT. What I do remember is that the pad used is not rare. I never had a problem buying pads for the rear.
I used only street pads in the rear even when I club raced or open tracked the car which was 98% of the miles I put on the car in the 11 years I owned it. About 4400 miles worth! The rear rotors were still the original ones when I sold the car in Sept. of 06.

In your search did you ever contact Mark Wilson?

Email "93SVTCobra" on this forum. He is an owner of a 93R and a Ford employee. I have also included a link to his website, a side business he owns.

Recaro seats sold by On-Track Performance Solutions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Hidley
Mr Brozynski,

I'm doing some brake research on 93 Cobra Rs and was hoping that you could answer a couple of questions since you used to own one. It would be a big help to me.

The rear rotors on your 93R were vented, did you ever measure the OD of the rotors or thickness by chance, and if so what were they? Several sources I've talked to give me different answers as to what rotor was used on these cars.

Do you know what part number brake pads you used in the rear calipers? So far, no one has been able to tell me what rear caliper was actually used on the car. I'm 100% sure it was a Varga brand, but there are at least three different models it could have been.

Again, thanks for you time.
Sincerely,

Jack Hidley
View Public Profile
Send a private message to Jack Hidley
Send email to Jack Hidley
Find More Posts by Jack Hidley
Add Jack Hidley to Your Contacts

Delete this Message
Delete MessageTo delete this message, check the appropriate option below and then click the 'Delete this Message' button.
Delete this Message