93 SHO into a 95 Contour?

95sleeper2b

Established Member
Does anybody know if you can swap a 3.0L Yamaha SHO motor into a 95 Contour and if you can what has to be modded or are there kits for it?"
any info would be great

Ryan

It's Not Your Concern
Super Moderator
Can you? Probably if you have one of two things 1)the skill to DIY or 2) the money to pay someone to swap it in.

Someone a while back posted pictures of the 3.0L Yamahammer in a Focus, so I imagine it could be done to the CDW-27 platform, however, I doubt anyone is going to do it since we have the 3.0L duratec to swap into our cars very easily.

Last edited:

95sleeper2b

Established Member
Sho

what motor would be a faster motor if built properly? and what are the specs on the 3.0 duratec?

The BigSHO

Established Member
The SHO motor probably has more potential.

The Duratec is probably more maintainable and would be the way to go in my opinion.

Both Engines are a pain to work on. The SHO more so in my opinion...

95sleeper2b

Established Member
the main reason i am asking about the SHO is because i have a slightly modded freshly T-boned SHO parts car... i was actually going to trade the car for a super-charged 3.8 couger but i don't know what tranny will work with that

Jason43

Brewer, patriot
Established Member
The 3.0 Duratec will drop in with little modification. The SHO motor will requior alot more time and money to make work, if it will even fit at all.

Ryan

It's Not Your Concern
Super Moderator
95sleeper2b said:
i was actually going to trade the car for a super-charged 3.8 couger but i don't know what tranny will work with that
The 89/90 XR7 uses the AOD, and a Mazda manual (can't remember the specific model). If you haven't, check out www.sccoa.com I sold a 90 XR7 last year. I love those cars (MN12 3.8L SC).

95sleeper2b

Established Member
the prob;em with the XR7 tranny though is its for a rear wheel drive car...I don't know if i want to get into all the hassle of turning my contour into a rear wheel drive...although the thought of that is very interesting...
I want to build this car so it is different from others.... that is why i am trying to find a way to put in the not so popular motors

Primalzer1998

Established Member
Oh god, there are a ton of different swaps i would rather do than a MN12 chassis anything. I am going to say there is no way at all to do any sort of swap from a cougar/tbird into the contour. With all the transmission, IRS, very wide motors, driveshaft, and about everything else. You would have a much better shot of with the SHO motor. And the 3.8's suck balls, even the SC's are not too great. Everyone that you talk to will say either go with the 4.6 or the 5.0, but that is again a whole different story. I had a tbird for 5 years before getting a CSVT.

-Jon

95sleeper2b

Established Member
beleive me oi am not about to start a RWD convesion just yet on my contour if ever...I did one of those on a 85 VW golf in high school and even though it was a fun project i don't have the equipment to do it myself... as for possibly putting in a 5.0... well other then the rwd conversion it wouldn't be all that difficult... i have seen 5.0's in the Merkur xr4ti and big blocks in fieros...so if they can go in size doesn't really matter...However seeing how i have the SHO already i am going to do that conversion due to the fact i don't have to buy very much stuff to completes it...thank you everyone for your in-put

Primalzer1998

Established Member
If i were to tackle any RWD conversion it would have to be the focus. Pop in a nice '04 cobra motor, that thing would fly, and there are a ton of kits already out to do it.

95sleeper2b

Established Member
if its to tall then i'll have to modify the motor mounts ...i'll just have to wait to get the motors out and start comparing the sizes

as for putting a 8 into a focus i would rather save the weight by going with a nicely done 6

Primalzer1998

Established Member
The six would be a lot easier, but i'd rather have the RWD. FWD is just not all it is cracked up to be. I've owned both, and i would much rather have RWD any day.

95sleeper2b

Established Member
i prefere rwd too
but instead of a heavy 8 in the front to mess up the wright transfer i'd rather go with a modded 6 rwd and save the extra weight

Primalzer1998

Established Member
But if you go with a nice all aluminum V8, you are not really messing too much with the weight balance. Like if you go with a '02 or later Explorer 4.6, or a Cobra motor pre '04, it is all aluminium and not all that much heavier than a V6. Like the weight savings would probably be at most 50 lbs. Plus you could get a hell of a lot more power out of a V8 and have all that torque, that i so love!! :)

Users who are viewing this thread