93 Octane and Power Limit

johnny3gears

On3 Budget Turbo Club
Established Member
I know there is probably a simple answer out there, but haven't really gotten my question answered from previous threads.

QUESTION: Is it worth it to upgrade the fuel system to a return system and/or go forged internals when I only have 93 octane available to me? Wish E85 was available, but its not so I'm kind of stuck in power goal limbo. It looks like (please correct if wrong) with the stock 11:1 compression, 93, and a BAP, the most power you can make without knock is around 650rwhp. I'm going to go single turbo if it makes any difference.

Is this correct? If so, would meth/water be a good idea/able to bump up the boost enough to make another 100rwhp?

I realize at some point the motor will let go, but for a year or two I would like to be able to put off the extra 7K or whatever for a sleeved, forged one. I will, however, be doing billet OPGs (maybe MMR's crank gear and cooling mod) regardless of power level.

prn1972

Established Member
I made around 700whp on pump 93. It was enough to window the block on both sides. So it's worth forging the bottom end.

If your only going to run pump gas leave the fuel system stock besides whatever injectors your need for the power level. Meth is a nice option when you don't have anything else. I prefer Alkycontrol.com .

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
The closer you push 93 to the edge, the less wiggle room you have with fuel quality. Something to keep in mind. Might consider running torco for when you know you will be hitting it hard.

Turboba6

Established Member
The closer you push 93 to the edge, the less wiggle room you have with fuel quality. Something to keep in mind. Might consider running torco for when you know you will be hitting it hard.

Or Much Better Get a Gallon of Zylene...I've Only been using it in Boosted Applications since 1992....Plus it Does NOT Color your Plugs like that Other Crap!

KEVINS

Established Member
Another vote for Alky Control Meth Inj.:rockon:

I prefer running 100% meth with 87 or 91 oct since it's easy to get around here. The car made 720hp @ 18psi with 93oct but now I run 28psi with 100% meth and should be around 850hp at this level. Next month I hope to get it on the dyno and push it to 950hp with boost around 35psi.

ks

Jumpmaster2015

Established Member
The closer you push 93 to the edge, the less wiggle room you have with fuel quality.

I live on a military installation, and had to either fuel up at a military gas station or be stranded on the side of the road the other day. I fueled up, and holy crap those knock sensors must have been having a kiniption fit because I lost a bunch of timing. The car was stumbling on anything other than stop and go driving. I topped the other 3/4 tank off at Chevron and the problem stopped. There are not a lot of people on post that use 92, so I think that stuff sits in the tanks for months.

These engines are sensitive to fuel quality to begin with, let alone after modifications/tuning.

Last edited:

Clipboard

Established Member
lowering your compression when you build the block will help too

Another vote for Alky Control Meth Inj.:rockon:

I prefer running 100% meth with 87 or 91 oct since it's easy to get around here. The car made 720hp @ 18psi with 93oct but now I run 28psi with 100% meth and should be around 850hp at this level. Next month I hope to get it on the dyno and push it to 950hp with boost around 35psi.

ks

prn1972

Established Member
What power adder were you using? Did it happen on the dyno, dig, or roll racing in Mexico?
Roush TVS, it lasted about 6k miles before it let go. It was cold weather, I got on it, at 4k rpm it went boom
3aa63d9b40e3d70eca72874e8fff51dc.jpg
4fcba9ec55764b27d580a98430f60a0b.jpg

Riptide

Established Member
Damn that is a bummer. ^^

700 on pump is pushing it. I've already gotten bad fuel once. Hats off to your bravery. :)

PS: What did your car trap before you lost the engine? Full weight? TIA

Last edited:

prn1972

Established Member
Damn that is a bummer. ^^

700 on pump is pushing it. I've already gotten bad fuel once. Hats off to your bravery. :)

PS: What did your car trap before you lost the engine? Full weight? TIA
I don't know only went to the track once for a show N go, had sucky Goodyear F1's on it, spun the tires all the way down the track.

Users who are viewing this thread