93 Notchback Ideas!?

lxcoupe93

First I'd like to say this is my first post so if this kind of post doesnt belong here please let me know. I recently purchased a 1993 calypso green coupe. It has a decently built 302-331 8inch rear world class t5 cobra wheels im not sure if they are original or replicas Some other parts I cant think of. Sorry I ramble. I would like to make this car a very reliable "street car". I dont want to tub it but of course I want it to get down. I am definitely planning on a 5 lug swap all around and disk brakes in the back and thats about the only thing ive absolutely set on. Id like for the car to steer well. Right now my steering is a bit loose And it reminds me of my stretched 1000 in a corner with the way it wobbles hard in a corner. Its originally a 4cyl car and it still has the 4cyl suspension. I would greatly appreciate some inputs on which way to go on the 5 lug conversion and the suspension. Ive looked at steeda control arms. Im not sparing any expense on this car and dont want to cheap out aywhere. My work schedule is very busy so I never have the proper time to do the research on it. Eventually after I get everything done I will put a 351w in there but I'm not looking to push it past 600hp but that's another story for another day. Thanks in advance!

Mnstr50

Established Member
Hey, as far as the suspension is concerned, if you go to a 5-lug, you'll have to run sn95 spindles. The brake lines will have to be modified/changed, along with the axles for the rear and brake hardware. I'd get all this off an SN95 car to stay budget minded. If you've set on blowing cash, you can certainly get exotic with the combo. I did poly control arms in the lower front's, along with poly offset bushings in the steering rack and new outer tie rods, and ball joints. Don't forget the rag joint/coupler in the steering shaft that connects to the steering rack. This will definitely tighten up the feel. the brake booster can be retained but the master cylinder also has to be replaced with doing a disc brake swap using SN95 stuff. I'd rather have simple/easy to replace/affordable to replace parts on a street car, just my opinion.

Jimboslice751

Established Member
If going 5 lug and don't want an aftermarket k member get some 94-95 spindles not 96. If you plan on an aftermarket k member MM recommends the 96 spindles. I went with 96 spindles since i planned to get an aftermarket k eventually. And swapped on cobra front brakes and went disk in the rear and used gt rears. They fit perfect since I used sn95 axles which stick out a bit farther. Wasn't a problem either as I roller my fenders and can still tuck 275 radials.

DMassey

No Habla Jibber Jabber
Established Member
you don't HAVE to run SN95 spindles up front, as you can run 5-lug Lincoln rotors... but the SN95 hub/brake setup is a huge upgrade. You can do this swap as cheap or as exotic as you want. Cobra brakes are obviously the most desirable setup, but 99-04 brakes are a great balance of performance upgrade and cost. You can find those about anywhere and MUCH cheaper than Cobra brakes. 99-04's have the 2-piston calipers, and are a huge upgrade over 94-98 brakes.

Up front, I would run:
93 Cobra master cylinder with 2/3-port kit
94/95 spindles/hubs
99-04 calipers & rotors
stainless lines

The rear is where options can overwhelm you. Do you just want 5-lug, or do you want rear disc? (sorry, for full disclosure I HAD to ask lol) Do you want to retain a stock Fox-width rear track, or use 94-98 length axles for a wider track? 94-98 axles are .75" wider on each side.

For the rear, one good option would be to just find a complete 94-98 housing with brakes already on it.
Or you can get 94-98 axles and the complete rotor/caliper/bracket assembly and bolt it right on.
Or you can get Fox-length 5-lug axles, 94-98 rotors/calipers, and use North Cobra caliper brackets.

LWniesz

Established Member
Ive done a couple 5 lug swaps.
First thing you absolutely need to do is decide what wheel you want to run, what size, and the tire you plan on running.
Your choice of wheel will determine what you will need to do the swap.

The last one I did was all SN95 stuff.
Junkyard Spindles/Calipers/Rotors
8.8 Rear w/ Moser axles. Modified the rear brake set up off the '95 parts car to work on the fox housing (cut/weld)
New 94-95 Master cyl., manual prop valve, lines and fittings to convert from 2 port to 3.
You will need new brake lines at all 4 corners, I recommend you just go get SS lines at this point.
This car we ran stock OEM 03 Cobra wheels, 17x9 with a 245 up front and 275 outback. No rubbing issues on lowering springs and Lakewood shocks.

Not the wildest of set ups, but it did the job and definatly improved the way the car took off and stopped.

As far as steering goes, replacing all of your tie rods, rag joint, etc will really help. Also the Rack and Pinion could just be wore out and could be replaced.

Fox body parts are cheap as hell compared to any other car following. Can find used stuff anywhere and mustangs virtually did not change chassis wise (much) from 79-04. So most the time the stuff will bolt on or go right on with minor modification.

If you ever have any questions on 5 lug swaps, or anything fox related... Shoot me a PM. I have owned quite a few and worked on even more through out the years.

Users who are viewing this thread