93 Mark VIII motor in a 97 Expedition.. Can it be done?

DC97Cobra

Established Member
My brother and dad purchased from an auction a 1997 Expedition that has a 4.6 SOHC motor in it. It turns out that it has a slight rod knock. My brother also has a 1993 Lincoln Mark VIII that was smacked in the right front of the car less than a month ago. The motor seems to look untouched other than a couple damaged accessories.

I'm trying to talk my brother and dad into mating the two instead of dropping another SOHC motor in it. In order for this to happen, I need to come up with some answers as to if this would work, be cost effective, and look almost stock.

My question to you all is what do you think will be needed to make this happen? This would be assuming that all of the accessories on the Mark motor is good.

Would the exhaust manifolds on the Mark work with a Expedition exhaust system?

Do you think that there will be any clearance issues with the wider motor and the brake booster, steering shaft, or anything else for that matter?

Other than extending wires, will the Expedition harness work with the DOHC motor?

I know that this has been done in Thunderbirds and GTs and are a pretty easy swap but have never heard of it done in an Expedition.

Last edited:

slider701

Established Member
It should fit.........but is it not going to be a direct bolt in. I'm sure the stock y-pipe will not fit and chances are you would want to go to a custom less restrictive exhaust anyways.

I'm sure some of the guys who have stuffed a 4V into a lightning can shed some more light on this.

The one thing I can tell you is that one if the funnest vehicles I ever drove in the SVT stables was the "2000 Thunder Expedition"

00 Thunder Expedition Article

The truck has a massaged lightning engine in it and it was always fun to spank some car on the highway and they had no clue how a huge truck just dusted them.

If you are going to do the 4V swap.........do it right and build a Thunder clone..

straightliner1

Established Member
First off, I have NOT done this swap but I can tell you the sensor wiring will differ and you may be forced to either use the Mk VIII ECM or meld both of them if some of the body functions of the Expy are controlled through the stock ECM.

Easiest way might be to use the Expedition ECM to run the car and a standalone engine mgmt (FAST for example) to control the engine functions.

Thoughts?

JasonSnake

Established Member
First off, I have NOT done this swap but I can tell you the sensor wiring will differ and you may be forced to either use the Mk VIII ECM or meld both of them if some of the body functions of the Expy are controlled through the stock ECM.

Easiest way might be to use the Expedition ECM to run the car and a standalone engine mgmt (FAST for example) to control the engine functions.

Thoughts?

I really don't think he needs to go that far. He'll have to do some wire splicing and use the connectors on the dohc sensors.

On a side note, if he uses two separate ecm's, he may lose the safety systems like air bags, ABS, etc.

carnut101

Established Member
You should look into the similarities between the the DOHC 5.4 in the Navigators and the motors in both the Expedition and the Mark. It might provide you with a nice compromise to make life easier with the wiring.

cobra_4

#PITS
Established Member
You should look into the similarities between the the DOHC 5.4 in the Navigators and the motors in both the Expedition and the Mark. It might provide you with a nice compromise to make life easier with the wiring.

Good advice. Yes it can be done. There was a thread somewhere a while back on it.

Users who are viewing this thread