93 Cobra Repro. wheels are at my house...

93cobra#3326

i love boost!
Established Member
oh yea if you still have the stock uppers and lowers i wouldnt be surprised if they were moving around in there. bushings pushed out, rubber deteriorating, etc...
i HAD to replace them on my 92gt and that car was nothing but a straight line performer for me, never really took any turns so if you are curving some corners again i wouldnt be surprised. its a crapy job replacing them too :(

93Cobra#2771

SVT God
Established Member
93cobra#3326 said:
Richard how do you think the wheels would fit on a lowered car?? i think mines like a 1" to a 1 1/2" lower. :shrug:
i planned to roll the fenders regardless, IF i buy these. (man i worried about the 12 year old paint chipping though)

thanks for taking the time to write all this up here and on the corral. :thumbsup: :beer:

IMHO, no way they will work on a lowered car. Not without the 5.0 length axle conversion, that is. Even rolling the fenders is going to be marginal on a lowered car, IMHO. Seems like a much bigger chance of the tire sidewall getting into fender lip, especially if you're hitting a corner pretty hard and hit a bump.

With the panhard bar, you eliminate the upper control arms, right?

cobra186

Stang Trader
Established Member
A panhard bar makes a world of difference....BUT a panhard bar does actually push the rear end off center when the suspension is compressed.

93deznutsblown

Could be faster than u!!!
Established Member
93Cobra2771 said:
Lee - are you sure it wasn't your tailpipes shifting a little bit?

Regardless, a panhard bar would solve it, as there isn't room for tailpipes over the axle with one.. :D

I had tail pipes with my panhard bar......you just need to cut the drivers side pipe in two pieces then put on and weld away...I wasnt easy but you can do it.... the passenger side goes right on!!! :burnout:

93cobra#3326

i love boost!
Established Member
Richard- do you think theres enough meat on the wheel to laith off a little material? i had my stocker off this weekend and didnt think it would be a good idea if the repo's had the same amount...but i was comparing my stockers to a 4-lug 95R repo wheel. and the repo wheel had alot of material there, i was wondering.
also whats the actual backspacing measurement in inches for the 93cobra repo wheels? i know i could look it up but :)
stock is 6" from back of hub flange to wheel lip.

93Cobra#2771

SVT God
Established Member
Richard- do you think theres enough meat on the wheel to laith off a little material?
I wouldn't remove any more than 1/4", if that much. Believe me, I've really entertained the idea of modifying the hub area (and may yet still do it).

Don't remember the backspacking, I'll have to drop a tape on it and see...

03BlownSnake

SVT Tech
Established Member
OK, so I am confused on this... I am thinking of getting these replica wheels for mine and just doing a GT/LX rotor swap for the front... and I thought the rears would fit nicely.

So my question is... are the wheels rubbing on the inside of the wheel or the outside (top of the fender) Also, is it rubbing due to your axle being off? Thanks for any clarification. I am thinking of buying these wheels soon

93Cobra#2771

SVT God
Established Member
Right now, with my axle off, there is NO way they will work. Passenger side sticks out 1/4" past the OUTSIDE of the rear fender.

Best I can tell, if your rearend is PERFECTLY centered (not unsual for one to be off by 1/2", from what I understand), the outer lip of the rim lands in the center of the fender lip on both sides. So, clearance is going to be VERY tight, and will be even worse on a lowered car. I have pretty much decided to go the axle swap route. I have to pop the differential cover anyway, as it is leaking. So I figure I will do it all at once.

Hope this helps.

93Cobra#2771

SVT God
Established Member
93cobra#3326 said:
Richard- do you think theres enough meat on the wheel to laith off a little material? i had my stocker off this weekend and didnt think it would be a good idea if the repo's had the same amount...but i was comparing my stockers to a 4-lug 95R repo wheel. and the repo wheel had alot of material there, i was wondering.
also whats the actual backspacing measurement in inches for the 93cobra repo wheels? i know i could look it up but :)
stock is 6" from back of hub flange to wheel lip.

Bryan - backspacing is 6.25" from back of hub flange to wheel lip. I also carefully compared the aftermarket to the OEM rim in the hub area. They are identical in thickness, depth, lug hole machining/depth/position in hub. For all intents and purposes, the hub area is identical.

Repro. center caps do fit on the OEM wheels, BTW, I tried that the other day.

buddha93

Established Member
Did you ever locate a set of stock axles Richard? I've got a set you can have if you just pay for the shipping from MO. They've been sitting in a box in my basement for awhile. They're off an 89' hatchback (my first Stang...sniffle) I had for years.....about 80k on them. If not, they can keep my 93' Cobra stockers company.

93cobra#3326

i love boost!
Established Member
and i bring thee back to life :pepper:
soo hey ah richard where you at with these? any luck? update please! :poke:

sorry if you posted about this and i missed it :bored:

93Cobra#2771

SVT God
Established Member
Lee is correct - I have a PHB waiting for install, and may well do the EVM TriLink at the same time. I figure if I'm gonna have it apart, I may as well... :evil:

Wheels are still at my house. Once I get the rear end centered, I'll be able to tell a little more whether or not they will work with the stock 93 Cobra rearend setup. If they don't, I've already got a set of stock 5.0 length axles, and will get the north racecars relocation brackets for the rear calipers.

93cobra#3326

i love boost!
Established Member
thanks for replying Rich
hey i was at a car show and i saw a 93 repo wheel.and after seeing one in person for the first time, it looked like it had enough extra meat (thicker than stock) to have 1/8" or more laithed off. do you not think so? have you heard of anyone else doing this?

93Cobra#2771

SVT God
Established Member
They are the same as the stocker, believe it or not. I did some pretty careful measurements and they are virtually identical. I didn't feel comfortable removing any material off the back of the rims. I did seriously consider it, though.

93cobra#3326

i love boost!
Established Member
93Cobra2771 said:
They are the same as the stocker, believe it or not. I did some pretty careful measurements and they are virtually identical. I didn't feel comfortable removing any material off the back of the rims. I did seriously consider it, though.

hmm they seemed to be thicker than stock :read: :shrug:

Users who are viewing this thread