'93 Cobra OEM exhaust question...

phorty

Established Member
So I picked up a '92 LX a month or so ago. The first time I saw it I noticed that the tailpipes sat funny and hung down a little low. I never thought anything of it and figured they just needed some adjustment. However, last night I noticed that right behind the rear tires there was a notch bent in the tailpipes. I thought this was only present on the '93 Cobra OEM exhaust system to clear the slightly wider OEM tires. Then I remembered how the tails sat low in the back and thought maybe someone threw on a '93 Cobra system on the LX at some point in it's life. Here are the pics, what do you guys think?
IMG_2339.jpg

IMG_2335.jpg

IMG_2337.jpg

Last edited:

cobra186

Stang Trader
Established Member
Other models had the dimple in the tailpipes also..... the angle that your pipes are at remind me of a 94-95 Mustang catback, as it will bolt right on the fox body.

Look at the metal muffler hangers.... Are they bolted on with 2 bolts (fox body) or are they welded on as one piece to the muffler (Sn-95 style). If I am not making sense, post a pic and I'll tell ya what year they are.

racerbox77

Established Member
Either way I think that should be your first mod. Those hang too low. You have to wonder about the original owner ( what did he think that was right?) Lol

DAVESVT2000

Established Member
If it's a 93 cobra exhaust they would have had to bend it down a bit to make it fit.

If it is an aftermarket exhaust, then IIRC, there weren't any companies making 1993 cobra exhaust kits back in the 90's, if you had a cobra you had to buy an LX exhaust and bend the hangers down or weld an extension on the hanger to make it hang lower.

got hp

SVT Connoisseur
Established Member
look for the engineering numbers on the mufflers, that will tell you for sure.

They are:

F3ZC-5230-CC (RH) and F3ZC-5232-DC (LH).

If there is anything else on there they are not authentic. Those dimples were on my 91 LX and I'm sure on other Mustangs. Even on the 93 Cobra, the pipes sit straight. It looks like the h pipe might be picking the front of the flowtubes up and makeing the tips hang lower. Does it have an aftermarket h-pipe?

Last edited:

Speedfreek

Established Member
Hangers were longer on a 93 Cobra cat back. Like was said before looks like your Hpipe is to high and making the cat back look like that.

phorty

Established Member
I got under there over the weekend and shot a few pics. Everything seems to be in correctly and tight. The hangers are all in good and the h-pipe is level front and back. So maybe it is a 94-95 exhaust. The mufflers say Ford on them so I'll post up the part numbers tonight.

got hp

SVT Connoisseur
Established Member
muffler hangers should be part of the muffler instead of being bolted on like the fox body mufflers. Those are off of either a 96 GT or Cobra. You can tell the difference between the two by looking at where the polished stainless portion of the tip meets the rest of the exhaust. If there is a huge difference in pipe diameter, then it's off the Cobra because they went from from 2 1/4" to 2 3/4" tips. The GT's were 2 1/4" pipe all the way which is what it looks like from the first pics.

phorty

Established Member
got hp said:
muffler hangers should be part of the muffler instead of being bolted on like the fox body mufflers. Those are off of either a 96 GT or Cobra. You can tell the difference between the two by looking at where the polished stainless portion of the tip meets the rest of the exhaust. If there is a huge difference in pipe diameter, then it's off the Cobra because they went from from 2 1/4" to 2 3/4" tips. The GT's were 2 1/4" pipe all the way which is what it looks like from the first pics.
Hmmm... a '96 exhaust. I'll take a look tonight and see if I can get a better look at the tips. Does the muffler part number match a '96 muffler?

got hp

SVT Connoisseur
Established Member
yes. F6 denotes 96. You notice the part number I gave for the 93 Cobra was F3. Most of the time, the mufflers will match the year.

Are you sure there are no signs of someone cutting and welding the system? The tips should be straight and actually stick out more than a fox system because the flowtubes are longer on an sn95 exhaust.

93Cobra#2771

SVT God
Established Member
The rubber islators/hangers on the tips may be the wrong ones. If they are too long, it would make the tips point down like that. Unsure if the 96 cars had longer isolators or not...

phorty

Established Member
93Cobra#2771 said:
The rubber islators/hangers on the tips may be the wrong ones. If they are too long, it would make the tips point down like that. Unsure if the 96 cars had longer isolators or not...
Here's some pics of the tailpipe hangers:
IMG_2364.gif

IMG_2366.gif

Users who are viewing this thread