93 Cobra not starting?????

93KingCobra

Established Member
I don't ask too many questions around here but my car is really thrown me for a loop......

The other night I was driving home from dinner and it dyed on me on the freeway and I had to get towed home..

Well today I got a chance to check it out and I was looking around and found out that the rotor had melted the tip under the cap. So I went and bought a new cap and rotor and replaced it but it still will not start. I have also check the timing ,plug(when I did check them #5 had a little gas on the tip),vacume leaks,and for some strange reason in between trying to start it I put my hand on the ground wire of the battery and it was extremely hot??

What do you guys think it might be???? I am really lost and any help you can give me would be great..

Thanks
Phillip

Last edited:

BADBOYSPACK

Ford Tech
Established Member
He said it has spark,good fuel pressure and it turns over.

He started a topic in www.1993cobra.com already.

I was thinking that too, but wanted more info on whats going on with the car.

Last edited:

93KingCobra

Established Member
Thanks guys..I had replaced theTPI modual two months ago and I had the old one laying around so I switched it out just to be sure and it was doing the same thing.

So I got to thinking that I have not changed the fuel filter in a long time so I will see if that is it if I have time tomorrow....Maybe it just not getting fuel for some reason??

tommygun

Established Member
died on the hwy is not likely going to be the fuel filter

how much fuel pres do you have with Key on?

does it hold pressure? or drop off asap

when you turn it over does the rotor spin in the dizzy?

when turning over does it spin freely or drag?

hollant

Stuck In First Gear
Established Member
My coil went out at a stop light and the wife had the guy behind her push her off into a parking lot leaving a gouge in the bumper cover!!!

BADBOYSPACK

Ford Tech
Established Member
93KingCobra said:
Thanks guys..I had replaced theTPI modual two months ago and I had the old one laying around so I switched it out just to be sure and it was doing the same thing.

So I got to thinking that I have not changed the fuel filter in a long time so I will see if that is it if I have time tomorrow....Maybe it just not getting fuel for some reason??

You told me that you had good fuel pressure on 1993cobra.com, so am I to believe that you didnt check the fuel pressure with a guage.

You typed that it might not be getting fuel for some reason here.

Hmmmmmmmm

IceMans93Cobra

Established Member
With what has been said BadBoy im getting to think it is his fuel pump. Even sometimes with a regulator it will read fine at idle but when you give it gas it will drop drastically. Let us know about that fuel pump!!!!!

19COBRA93

Tire shredder
Established Member
My vote is fuel pump.

And even though he says it has spark, in case it really doesn't, it could also be the ignition stator (magnetic pickup in the distributor). That bad boy left me stranded in my last '93.

93KingCobra

Established Member
BADBOYSPACK said:
You told me that you had good fuel pressure on 1993cobra.com, so am I to believe that you didnt check the fuel pressure with a guage.

You typed that it might not be getting fuel for some reason here.

Hmmmmmmmm

Sorry for the miss communication..I must have read it wrong or something and no I did not check it with a guage..I will get more into the car this weekend and see what I find out..

BADBOYSPACK

Ford Tech
Established Member
Let us know what the guage shows at idle and half throttle too.

It wouldnt hurt to do a wide open throttle reading also.

tommygun

Established Member
BADBOYSPACK said:
Let us know what the guage shows at idle and half throttle too.

It wouldnt hurt to do a wide open throttle reading also.

well if its not starting I dont think he can get that info for us :shrug: :beer:

tunedin302

Runnin' with the devil
Established Member
tommygun said:
well if its not starting I dont think he can get that info for us :shrug: :beer:

:lol: .... on a side note: Do you hear the fuel pump prime when you turn the key to the accessory position?

tunedin302

Runnin' with the devil
Established Member
93KingCobra said:
Yes it is doing that..

Then as for starting issues, I would crudely rule out the fuel pump. I would have a bigger concern as to why the ground wire is getting so hot and why you're melting rotors. Any chance you can pull the codes on it?

tommygun

Established Member
even though you hear the pump prime does not mean its getting enough fp to start.... get a guage and put it on the rail and see if it goes to 40 (or near) psi

there are lots of shops in houston who might beable to trouble shoot it for you, I deal with Richard at Strictly from time to time.

Users who are viewing this thread