93 Cobra computer vs. A9L

Black93Cobra

Established Member
I haven't seen any dyno numbers on the swap but I have spoken at length with several EEC experts and the consenus is that you wouldn't see any gain on a stock car, only have you had modded it would the A9L but of any benefit. The biggest problem with the stock '93 Cobra computer is that is really pulls out timing as the revs climb or the load increases. Just my $.02:)

93CobraJet

thanks for the response, When you say "modded" do you mean like headers, 3.73 gears, KN filter, full exhaust.... or do you mean Super Charger or Heads Cams ect...ect..

Thanks in advance,,

Black93Cobra

Established Member
There wouldn't be any difference in performance between the computers until you made major changes to the engine (cam, heads, more compression, etc). With headers, exhaust, cold air kits, gears, etc. I don't think the performance gain with the A9L would be significant. The other choice is to chip the stock Cobra computer. My EEC expert has a 93 Cobra that he races at open track events and he has a custom chip for his. He insists that the stock Cobra computer with a chip is better than an A9L . Of course the cost of the chip around $600 so it isn't cheap. Unless you plan to put on a power adder at some point in the future, a A9L would be the best bet for the money. If you are interested in the chip, I can hook you up with "the chip guy" he does computer chips for guys all over the country. Hope that helps:beer:

93CobraJet

Thanks for the info,,,I'm not planning on doing too much with the car now, but I'll keep what you said in mind:thumbsup:

93_Snake

93 Cobra worshipper
Established Member
Is the A9L chip the stock one from a regular 5.0L? I have heard that the regular chip has a more aggressive timing curve than the Cobra? I have a computer box out of a 90 5.0 and I have thought about switching it out before, but I was afraid it would hurt something on my car and never have done it.:shrug:

hotrodcobra

Established Member
I talked to Evan Smith about this very thing when he pictured my car for the magazine. He is an NHRA record holder with a 93 Cobra clone and he personally dynoed both processors on his car and only saw a "few" hp difference. He did not think it was worth changing and I have went low 11's with the stock computer still in my car.

Venom93

What i don't understand is, how can the people who do the swap justify the claims that they drop 3-4 tenths in the 1/4 from just the computer swap if its not making any difference, i've read of this happening multiple times with other cobra owners, and have recently done the swap myself, and will soon see what happens...

hillie16

Stand Silent in Flames
Established Member
They probably aren't just switching the computer stock for stock. The 94-95's are supposed to have the worst computers, but using a TwEECer or something like that you can change the whole program and customize it for your set up, whereas the stock computers are set up for a compromise between performance and fuel economy. So it's probably better to get your stock computer a custom burned chip and a reprogamming than to just switch to the A9L.

Last edited:

93Cobra#2771

SVT God
Established Member
I had been considering a swap myself, to hopefully fix some of my drivability issues (research some of my previous posts such as "Cam"). I was told by several people that it would be a lot more simple to just have a custom chip burnt and modify the profiles for my numerous mods. On a lightly modded car, I can't see that much difference. On a heavily modded car, there might be a little difference, but i doubt if you would be able to tell. I think a lot of people do the change so they won't have to go the custom chip route, and they can then buy over the counter stuff for a stock A9L with a mass air with 24# injectors. My Autologic chip is on order and should be here by the end of this week :thumbsup: Hopefully it will do the trick...

Users who are viewing this thread