93 Cobra brake booster install help

cobra186

Stang Trader
Established Member
Its really not a big deal.

1)Unbolt the master cylinder
2)Remove the vaccum line from the booster
3)You can unbolt the driver side front seat for more room to be able to get under the dash, buts its not an absolute must.
4) Pull the clip out of the brake pedal where the brake light switch is. There will be a couple of plastic washers also so make sure to note their orientation when removing the brake light switch.
5) Slide the brake rod off the brake pedal
6)Remove 4 bolts that hold the booster to the firewall. If I remember correctly they will be 13mm.
7) Remove booster from firewall
8) Reverse directions for install.

If you are having a hard time seeing what you are doing under the dash, then you can unbolt the knee bolster cover & metal backing plate from under the steering column to make everything more visible.

A wobble joint and long extension will be your friend when removing the 4 bolts that retain the booster to the firewall.

BCMC03

Established Member
Its really not a big deal.

1)Unbolt the master cylinder
2)Remove the vaccum line from the booster
3)You can unbolt the driver side front seat for more room to be able to get under the dash, buts its not an absolute must.
4) Pull the clip out of the brake pedal where the brake light switch is. There will be a couple of plastic washers also so make sure to note their orientation when removing the brake light switch.
5) Slide the brake rod off the brake pedal
6)Remove 4 bolts that hold the booster to the firewall. If I remember correctly they will be 13mm.
7) Remove booster from firewall
8) Reverse directions for install.

If you are having a hard time seeing what you are doing under the dash, then you can unbolt the knee bolster cover & metal backing plate from under the steering column to make everything more visible.

A wobble joint and long extension will be your friend when removing the 4 bolts that retain the booster to the firewall.

Thanks for the info, however, I'm trying to put the 93 Cobra booster in a 92 coupe, and I've read that you must beat on the shock tower and dent it and elongate the booster mounting holes, as I can remember my Cobra looked the same under the hood as my coupe, or is there a difference? I wonder if Ford warranty had to do the same when replacing a faulty booster.

cobra186

Stang Trader
Established Member
If you are using a true 93 Cobra booster then you do not have to do any of that.

If you are using a 94-95 Cobra booster then you will need to elongated one of the bottom holes in the firewall... it will fit w/o using a BFH on the strut tower but some people are impatient on squeezing it in or that just dont give a crap if their towers are beat to crap.

Another thing you can do to ease the install is to carefully shorten the mounting studs coming out of the booster on a 94-95 style as they are probably a 1/2" longer than the fox body booster studs.

Last edited:

BCMC03

Established Member
If you are using a true 93 Cobra booster then you do not have to do any of that.

If you are using a 94-95 Cobra booster then you will need to elongated one of the bottom holes in the firewall... it will fit w/o using a BFH on the strut tower but some people are impatient on squeezing it in or that just dont give a crap if their towers are beat to crap.

Another thing you can do to ease the install is to carefully shorten the mounting studs coming out of the booster on a 94-95 style as they are probably a 1/2" longer than the fox body booster studs.

This is a true 93 Cobra brake booster, it has the same bolt pattern for the master cylinder and fire wall bolt pattern, I bought it through late model resto.

Farmer-Ted

I pooped a little.
Established Member
I've done this to 3 cars so far and each one (with the engine in the car) I had to dent the inner fender pretty good for clearance, shorten the studs and one car I had to elongate the mounting holes to get the damn things in. Two were new from the M2300K kit and one was a rebuild for a 93 Cobra, so they were the correct boosters.

BCMC03

Established Member
Thanks for all the info, but I was still interested if anyone knows how the Ford dealers do their install.....

cobra186

Stang Trader
Established Member
Unless things have changed the M2300 Kit uses a 94-95 Cobra booster... at least the early kits did when they first came out 10+years ago.

BCMC03

Established Member
Unless things have changed the M2300 Kit uses a 94-95 Cobra booster... at least the early kits did when they first came out 10+years ago.

I think because of the mounting issues with the booster and master cylinder, they are using the 93 Cobra booster.....

Farmer-Ted

I pooped a little.
Established Member
Thanks for all the info, but I was still interested if anyone knows how the Ford dealers do their install.....

I believe they will fit right in with the engine out, which is how Ford installed them on the assembly line. I bought my first M2300K kit back in 1997 and the second in 1998 (back when they cost about $1000). Both of those kits had 93 Cobra boosters. The bolt pattern was the Fox pattern, not the 94-95 pattern, unless Ford modified them before selling.

Users who are viewing this thread