93 Cobra acting up

SPEED JUNKIE

Established Member
Car is acting a little funny. It is intermittent. It has been a while since I have driven it but I don't think that it used to crank as long as what it does now before it fires up. Throttle response is a bit slow. Car is sluggish, and right off idle all the way to upper rpm'7ns it hesitates. In the upper rpm's it very quick to hesitate and then it feels like it got its full power for a split second, then back to what feels like running and 6 or 7 cylinders. Even when it is not acting up the car does not seem to be as healthy as it should be.

The car is not throwing the CEL. It is firing on all cylinders. I was told by a reliable source that it could be the Crank position sensor. So I looked at a few online auto parts stores and they don't have a listing for a crank position sensor.

So whats the deal guys, any input much appreciated.

Car is all stock except for a k&n.

tia
Andy

SPEED JUNKIE

Established Member
My reliable source is a master tech at a gm/honda dealership. His knowledge is broad but he is no mustang expert. That is why I'm asking here. My bro in-law and I hooked a snap-on scan tool up. "FIX FIRST 85 0=CANP CKT FAULT/C=FUEL AT LEAN LIMIT"

If it is missing what would make it an intermittent miss?

Svt50Cobra

Crazy 93 Cobra Poster
Established Member
I would probably first check the basic like fuel pressure, I would verify that you don't have a plug wire breaking down, and I would maybe check the mass air meter to make sure nothing has gotten into it or around the sensor. Just where I would start to check!

dragrazor

Established Member
If I had to guess, I would say that your fuel pump might be on its way out. Is it stock? If its never been changed, its going on 15 years. I would also look at your cap/rotor/wires. Has the gas been sitting in the tank for a while? Maybe your filter. I think its your fuel.

pbm.cc

Established Member
well I would say to check the AIC! those things go out like crazy! and it will cause you to crank the motor for a while before it turns on. If not then the fuel pump may be bad, fuel filter, then check the air filter and mass air meter. You may also want to clean the TB.

just my 2cents.

Vib_93

Established Member
Start with the easy stuff, plugs, Fuel filter etc. Check your plug wires for resistance, check out the cap for carbon tracking. Then move on to the more difficult parts. MHOO

vemom93

I think you meant to say IAC. Idle Air Control. My best guess is a fueling issue. If you were missing because of spark your 02 would pick up on it, and you would get a flashing check engine light.

1BAD93SVT

Established Member
it could be your harmonic balancer, fuel filter, maf sensor, vacuum leak, iac. check your fuel pressue, check the balancer to make sure the rubber isn't deteriorated, clean the maf sensor and iac, check voltage for tps and no unplugged hoses

cobrabc1993

Established Member
Everything previously mentioned would be a goodstart.. Just was going to mention, something else to check(injector wires). Ive worked on quite a few 93cobra, and since these cars do allot of sitting, it is very common for mice or rats, to sneak up under the upper intake and chew off cylinders 6+7 injector wires, which causes NO CODES,NO CHK engine light, a slight miss, low power, sluggishness! I hope this isnt your issue, but have fixed 3different 93cobras, in 3different cities, with that exact problem with the injector wires.. and everytime it was those cylinders, and only where the wires are exposed, they dont like the electrical tape, jus the exposed wire coating.....

Users who are viewing this thread